need advice on where to go

alun arnold
alun arnold Posts: 36
Hi , I've always wanted to cycle up some big mountains in france so my training partner and i are planning to do it in september, I'm looking for advice on where to go and where to stay, were planning going for about a week and were thinking of a trying to find a company that cater for small groups . Thanks in advance, kind of need all the advice we can get.

Comments

• I would strongly advise you Annecy in the french alps, Savoy. You can enjoy great rides and tough climbs like the Col de la Colombiere, Cret de Chatillon, le Grand Bornand and col de la Forclaz, plus you have the added value of a really lovely town, with a great tradition of patisserie.
    This would be more of a DIY holiday
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Hi , I've always wanted to cycle up some big mountains in france so my training partner and i are planning to do it in september, I'm looking for advice on where to go and where to stay, were planning going for about a week and were thinking of a trying to find a company that cater for small groups . Thanks in advance, kind of need all the advice we can get.

if you can afford it have a look at www.gpm10.com and their Tour de Mont Blanc. A spectacular ride (grim if it rains) and you'll rack up over 29000ft of climbing and be looked after. All you have to do is get you and your bike to Geneva. You could always stay in the area if you wanted for longer or do the Chamonix-Nice as well the week after as I did in 2007.

Poss. a bit cheaper www.whiteroomchalet.com in Bourg St.Maurice. This gives you a base as opposed to a diffrent location each night.
    M.Rushton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I would strongly advise you Annecy in the french alps, Savoy. You can enjoy great rides and tough climbs like the Col de la Colombiere, Cret de Chatillon, le Grand Bornand and col de la Forclaz, plus you have the added value of a really lovely town, with a great tradition of patisserie.
    This would be more of a DIY holiday
    +1
    I know some people like others to handle things for them but you'll find it's easy to book places online and you'll find plenty of English-speaking hotels. The local tourist offices are geared up for cyclists, with special maps and routes and you can always asked for ideas o here. Annecy has a great cycle path to the south and routes in all directions and there are many more climbs than Ugo has mentioned.
  • If you read the article in the link attached you will see that Bagneres de Luchon is "Col Central" and the perfect base to really tackle some of the tours classic cols.

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=935
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • Thanks guys,
  • Depends what you want but I can highly recommend gastrobiking.com. Situated in the Vercors national park - fantastic climbs on quiet roads if you head into the relatively undiscovered Vercors, or head north for gentle rolling countryside. Only an hours drive or so from the base of Alpe D'Huez and others if you want to bag a few big cols. Fantastic hospitality and great cakes. Have a look at their website.