Gel Saddle covers

GavH
GavH Posts: 933
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Whats the score on these? Anyone use them and if so do they make a difference? If not, why not?

I'm currently riding for fitness/weight loss with a view to doing a sportive or three this summner. I'm using a Spesh Taupe BG thing which has no gel inserts in it - uber light but wafer thin as a result. After about 90 mins to 2 hrs riding I get pain in the cleft of my left butt cheek. Rather than buy a new saddle I wondered if a £10 gel cover would do they job. Or should I buy a new saddle and if so, what kind?

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'd stay well away. The gel covers I've seen are made for occasional cyclists, who think that padding=comfort. They usually fit those huge hire bike-type saddles.

In terms of saddles with gel already in them, many people will tell you that non-gel saddles are actually more comfy. Also, the gel can break down and become stiff and bulged in places, so longevity can be an issue.

If your current perch in uncomfortable, I'd go down to your LBS and see what they would recommend. One man's armchair is another's razor blade...
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I agree with everything Nuggs says.

Do you wear padded shorts?

How long have you been riding for?
  • GavH
    Yes, I have padded shorts and have been riding now since about Aug / Sep having thus far racked up a couple of rides just shy of 60 miles but nothing further. On those rides, the bike I have (second hand) had a large, heavy but quite comfy saddle on it. I replaced this with the Spesh becuase I thought it'd be as comfy but obviously a LOT lighter. I was only half right.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Have you got the old saddle still?

If so, measure the width across the part where you make contact with it, this is the most important measurement as it supports your sit bones, too narrow and you'll get perineum damage, too wide and you'll support yourself on the soft buttock area, both will cause discomfort, numbness and fatigue.
    40427 Posts: 119
    definately do not get a gel saddle they are very likely to be stolen as soon as you leave your bike somewhere and generally are more trouble than they are worth.
  • Well I picked up a gel seat cover a few weeks ago and to be honest it made my ride far more enjoyable,So I would recomend one if you cannot afford to buy a new saddle to your specifications. Mind you it is early days with this new bit of kit??? 50miles so far.
  • GavH wrote:
    Whats the score on these? Anyone use them and if so do they make a difference? If not, why not?

I'm currently riding for fitness/weight loss with a view to doing a sportive or three this summner. I'm using a Spesh Taupe BG thing which has no gel inserts in it - uber light but wafer thin as a result. After about 90 mins to 2 hrs riding I get pain in the cleft of my left butt cheek. Rather than buy a new saddle I wondered if a £10 gel cover would do they job. Or should I buy a new saddle and if so, what kind?

The Toupe comes in two width sizes depending upon sit bone width... you might have the wrong width of saddle. Get to a Secialized dealer and check it out. btw the Toupe comes in a gel version.

However, rather than waste £10 on a cover, try a Specialized BG2. All the advantages of the Toupe barring light weight of course, and if you shop around like me, pick one up for £20. I like mine better than my 3 times the price Fizik!
  • GavH
    The Spesh Toupe is the 143 sized version. My old saddle is MUCH wider. Is it at all conceivable that the pain is just simply because my ass isn't used to the prolonged periods in the saddle? Or is it worth investing in a more suitably padded saddle?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think shape is far more important than padding, padding will just compress unless it is ridiculously deep. I was using Specialized Avatar saddles (BG like the toupe, cheaper, heavier), it seemed the best I had tried after trying at least 6 others over the years. Then I got my Planet-X and the P-X saddle it came with was so much better! You wouldn't expect that to look at it, no gel like the Avatar, just the shape is right for me. They cost £46 for the Ti one, but I managed to get an unused one on eBay for a tenner - lots of P-X buyers get the bike unbuilt and sell on the bits. I gather the P-X one has Fizik genes in it, so these might suit me too.

e92d_1.JPG

Not saying it will suit you, but there is one on ebay at the moment, bidding is at under £4. It is chromo rather than Ti rails, but still a reasonable weight.
  • GavH
    Thanks alfablue I'll keep my eye on that listing.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited January 2009
    GavH wrote:
    The Spesh Toupe is the 143 sized version. My old saddle is MUCH wider. Is it at all conceivable that the pain is just simply because my ass isn't used to the prolonged periods in the saddle?

Yes, I think you need to ahem break in your butt!
    Or is it worth investing in a more suitably padded saddle?

No. I use a Toupe and combined with good quality shorts can ride 70 - 100 miles with no posterior discomfort. Best saddle I've ever owned.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Seems to me that I read, a few years back, something about the word "gel"
    being more of a marketing ploy / idea than any kind of "new" type of padding. It's only foam called something else, or something along those lines. However, if it works for you who cares what it's called. I'm not one way or another about "gel". I have had saddles
    with foam and saddles with "gel" and haven't noticed any difference.

Dennis Noward
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've got one, it sits in a box somewhere and never sees the light of day.