why cant i fit tyres!

bails_89
bails_89 Posts: 143
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Why can i not fit tyres correctly?! Iv had this problem since buying some new tyres,iv tryed 2 different tyres and the outcome is still the same. They don’t seem to sit right in the rim.
Could anybody give me any tips or different things I could try.
I just don’t know where im going wrong.
Its not about the bike....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    can you get them on the rim?

if yes then make sure they are seated right and the tube in the valve area is to obstructing the tyre.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi, I had the same problem, the tyres went on but never sat quite right. When looking down at the front tyre whilst moving it looked like the wheel was buckled!

A mate advised me to put a smear of washing up liquid on the tyre edge and on the wheel rim. Then use a track pump not a hand pump to pump them up.

As you pump you can see the tyres move into place on the rim. You may have to let some air back out the tyre, as it takes some pressure to "pop" into place.
    It worked on mine.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Lightweight tyres are nearly always a pain to fit - the sidewalls and bead are so flimsy they just fall onto the rim. 10 psi and a bit of persuasion usually gets them sitting properly.
  • welcome to the forum

David
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    if theyre light weight tyres then pump the tube up a very little until they hold thier shape, then ease them on one side at a time. when you have all but 6 or so inches on the rim and it startes to become difficult, let the air out of the tube and pop in into place.

when youve got it on run it around a carpeted area, a few times right round, with a little pressure pushing down. this will pop the walls into place. pump them up slowly and look for bulges. when you see one, let out a little air and push that bit in. do this as many times as neccessary.

NEVER ride a tyre with a little bulge in and think it will hold, it wont. the tyre will come flying off the rim at the worst possible moment.