Tour Down Under on Sky Sports HD

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2009 in Pro race
A few people have posted about it and I just took a look and can confirm it's definately NOT in HD. The EPG said it wasn't and you can tell looking at the picture that it's old SD.

I would think the first races this year which might be in HD will be Paris-Roubaix.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:
    A few people have posted about it and I just took a look and can confirm it's definately NOT in HD. The EPG said it wasn't and you can tell looking at the picture that it's old SD.

I would think the first races this year which might be in HD will be Paris-Roubaix.

I think all the ASO races are HD (or at least can be), but it'll usually depend on the host broadcaster. So I'd imagine the ones where Rai are host (MSR, Giro etc) should be HD as well somewhere. It'll also depend on what feeds broadcasters buy.
  • Agreed, strange though, last year it definitely was broadcast in HD.

Don't ask me why but I had a stage still saved on my Sky+ box.

God it was tedious.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

How much difference does HD make to watching cycling anyway ? my parents have it and i have to say i wasnt that impressed when i watched a football match on it , certainly not enough to add more money onto an already bulging subscription package.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moray Gub wrote:

How much difference does HD make to watching cycling anyway ? my parents have it and i have to say i wasnt that impressed when i watched a football match on it , certainly not enough to add more money onto an already bulging subscription package.

MG - The Tour looked absolutely stunning in the mountains last year. You could see the insects fluttering around and it just gave an added level of realness. Depends on the surroundings I expect. A dull flat race would be a dull flat race.

That's why I think PR would be a good choice.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Fully agree, HD cycling coverage is a revelation. You can read the riders faces like you are there. Plus the scenery as Iain says looks sensational in HD.

But the main benefit for me is you can see the full detail of the riders faces and the communication signals between the riders in a race. As well as a crystal clear view of their suffering factor that is pretty much blurred out in normal resolution.

As an aside, HD coverage or not the Tour Down Under is much more exciting this year IMHO.