how to test a bike?

HillClimber101
HillClimber101 Posts: 149
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
i'm sure that there has probally being 20 other topic about this subject, but i want to be sure about the bike i'm getting.

i want to know how i should test a bike. can i tell if a bike is good just from reading reviews, if i sit on it and lift it up(test weight) and if i ride them; how long should the ride be, as some shops are not that keen at lending bikes for long time, if i only have 15 min in a town, should i use hills or the flat.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Ride it on both if you can. Hills if you have to choose. Many shops have demo bikes which unless you are very big or small they should be able to set up for you. Get as long a test as you can on any that really interest you. You may have to leave a deposit or card details. I managed 65 miles when I tested a Madone 5.2. It was worth their trouble as I bought one. Don't p*ss them about though.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You're doing the right thing by actually getting your leg over and trying the bike you may or may not want. A test ride should ideally be mixed with uphill and downhill route and of course on the flat. Also look for rough surfaced roads if you can and see how the bike handles this, as well as a good brake test.

Only when you test ride a bike will you know if it is the bike for you.