Trekking / Butterfly Bars

martinojones
martinojones Posts: 16
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm interested in fitting butterfly / trekking bars insted of Drops as on my Jamis Aurora. However my drops have Dual Control STI levers which I dont think would really work well on Trekking Bars, though I have seen them fitted.
Does anyone know what are my options for using possibly Shimano Dual control levers as Delor xt. Also the Jamis is a ten speed bike will I need to convert the Bike to a 9 spped cassette as well.
Any advice in this matter would be welcome.
Thanks
Andy

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    It sounds pretty fiddly. I think if you ditch your dual controls you could use mtb-style gear levers? And maybe switch to Vbrakes as well.

Also other tourers will assume you're dutch or german.
  • what are the compatability problems associated with switching brake types?
  • tardington
    Roughly, road-style levers go with canti brakes, and mountain bike levers with V-brakes (or disc brakes) - it's to do with how far you pull the levers, as far as I can tell.

But - I have a tricross, and it has road brake levers, and V-brakes! It has the safetly levers as well though...
  • tardington
    Aha, was trawling my email archives.

My sister converted her cannondale classic touring to butterfly bars. She's fitted mtb style brakes and gear levers to the butterflybars - specifically on the end of the bars, so they are quite close to the central axis of the bike. I'm squinting at the pics, and it looks like it's got V-brakes on - I know it started with cantis!

Hope that helps.
  • Its all helping.
    I know mine is fitted with Canilever Brakes at the moment. So switching to V Brakes shouldnt be too much of an issue. Its just not knowing what to go for. or the best options.