Startling revelation

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
That you CANNOT go out like a mad man and ride fast when you haven't ridden for a good long time (10 years +).

Oh dear!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Comments

• welcome to the forum, know how you feel mate!

I've had my bike for over a month now and thought I would be able to pick it up again, how wrong I was.

David
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    haha even after about a month I set off at what was normal pace and I'm close to passing out....no a nice feeling. :roll:
  • Only a couple of months off and you really feel the difference.

Make sure yu've got a speedo that measures distance and set yourself targets, 5 miles ten miles, 15, up to about twenty five on not too demanding surfaces and then after a month or two introduce some climbs.

It'll only take a couple of months, which'll have you good and fit to enjoy the trails when the weather gets better (if ever it does)

Enjoy!
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • dg74
    nice 5 miler tomorrow morning should see me right. Fingers crossed. High gears and breathe easy. No hills, flat all the way.

If anyone see's a big lad on a saracen blowing out of his arse tomorrow at about 9 am in North Shields, give him a honk and point and laugh...
  • I was bollocksed just walking to the shop today. And I'm not going to cycle it as a kona was stolen from outside there the other day too according to a sign. I bet he didn't lock it up though which is a bit stupid, that area is very light fingered
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • dg74
    I was bollocksed just walking to the shop today. And I'm not going to cycle it as a kona was stolen from outside there the other day too according to a sign. I bet he didn't lock it up though which is a bit stupid, that area is very light fingered

Take it you're from the area mate? Yea I know what it's like, hence I have my bike insured just incase.

Thankfully where I live it's very quiet, get no kids hanging about, etc. Still, not daft enough not to leave my bike unattended or locked up!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Amazing how quick it all drops off. I am a shadow of the rider I used to be! if you saw me on a trail youd think 'who's that berk on a zaskar?!'
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Oh very drole :roll:

dg74 - you're right but it does come back. I seem to tail off riding towards Christmas each year and then eat / drink too much. Bit of effort in January and Febuary and it seems to come back. I've also noticed that whilst I deteriorate towards the end of each year I'm not usually as bad as the previous year so there is hope.

A 10 year lay off may take longer to recover from (don't push yourself too hard though or you'll set yourself a high benchmark for next year :lol: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    i had about 14 years off ! jeez did my bum hurt last week !!!
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • dg74 wrote:
    I was bollocksed just walking to the shop today. And I'm not going to cycle it as a kona was stolen from outside there the other day too according to a sign. I bet he didn't lock it up though which is a bit stupid, that area is very light fingered

Take it you're from the area mate? Yea I know what it's like, hence I have my bike insured just incase.

Thankfully where I live it's very quiet, get no kids hanging about, etc. Still, not daft enough not to leave my bike unattended or locked up!

nah mate, i'm from derbyshire :)
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• dg74
    dg74 wrote:

Posh git :D
  • dg74 wrote:
    dg74 wrote:

Posh git :D

:lol::lol: couldn't be too wrong. Sure there's some posh clowns in little quaint villages around who think they're holier than anybody else but then there's the majority of us who're lower-middle class slobs.
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010