Same Old Same Old! What bikes?

ljsalter
ljsalter Posts: 5
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Morning guys…. and gals,

Sorry to ask the same old questions but want to ensure I make the right decision. My situation is as follows:

My good friend is a keen MTBer and has been pestering me for years to get into it – reckons we can get more weekends away from the ball and chains MTB’ing during the day, and on the piss at nights.

Anyway, this Christmas the other half surprised me asking whether we should get into it biking. I would obviously have to commit to going biking with her quite often, but will still be able to blag the odd weekend away with friends biking.

I know for a fact that when biking with the missus it will be down nice tame trials and tracks through the lake district, without a great deal of ‘off piste’ biking so to speak. Though when away with friends my skills/bike will be more tested if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing both the other half bike, and my own, and could do with some help and recommendations…..

I have already looked at the helpful sticky tab for what bike, but could do with a little more assistance, I am deliberating between two options for myself....

Rockhopper Disc 2008 £470 (online shop)

or

Giant xtc 4.5 £425

Looking to spend c £500 or mine and upto £300 on the other half’s

Rockhopper idea was through this forum and would be purchased online. The Giant xtc 4.5 is from local shop, which doesn’t stock rockhopper. Sticky tab does say that for first bike go to local shop, but some rave reviews about Rockhopper make me think otherwise.

Would you agree that Rockhoper is better option for tame cycling with the other half, plus option of starting to get a little more hardcore with friends. Or any other suggestions?

Also, any suggestion for the other half would be good. Local shop suggested Trek 2800 (£200). Doesn’t have disc brakes though – is this a problem/issue?

Sorry to ask the same questions as always but would like to make right choice given about to spend near £800.

Comments

• welcome to the forum.

David
  • Cheers David. Hopefully be here for some time going forward.

Any of you guys have the above problem with the ball and chain?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    hi mate - good to hear someone getting back on the bike

have a look at the What Hardtail 2009 thread, this will give you recommendations for you and mrs hopefully

try and get a ladies fit bike, the shorter reach makes a big deal of difference to the comfort factor - my Mum, my Girlfriend both find that lots of bikes have too long top tubes on the frames and therefore they don't feel as nicely balanced. My cousin has ridden varieties of road and off-road bikes, and recently got a womens fit mtb and was impressed at the improvement despite some scepticism before purchasing

definitely get test rides beforehand as well
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Rockhopper is a great bike and great value with the deals available at the moment, but a total waste of money if you buy it and then find it's chronically uncomfortable to ride.

You may think how bad can it be, but worst case scenario is stuff like back pain when you ride it. Geometry varies a lot between bikes and manufacturers. You need one that suits your body.

Is there not a sprcialized dealer anywhere near you? An hours drive is preferable to buying a bike that you can't ride comfortably!

You can always still buy online once you've verified that it fits you. This isn't great for the LBS, but if you're on a tight budget and they won't price match the online price, then you're kind of stuck.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    You never know, your 'other half' might turn out to be better than you!

I've lost count of the number of times i've seen couples at trail centres, the guy on a good bike with all the gear, and the girl on a crap old bike (probably the guy's cast off) with no knee pads or anything. Unsurprisingly the guy pelts off up the trail leaving his partner behind. not that surprising when she decides she's not that keen afterwards!
    Its definitely a good idea to make sure you get bikes to fit both you and your partner.
  • She may surprise me yet you're quite right! I hope she does in fact.

Shall certainly not blaze off and leave her. Always enjoy quality time with her and hope that we both enjoy MTB togher. But… I know she will not want me to spend more than £300 on bike for her.

Have got a few more ideas of the Hartails for 2009 thread now. Not sure I wanted to read it to be honest. More options now than before. Mine field! Started to be frustrated with it all to be fair.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    SImple trick to buying a bike is sadle go and try them.

We all have different body shapes sizes so different geomety feels better/worse depending.

only way to really decide is go try a few bikes!

And lexie is right few of us went camping in september last year, and there is a couple that we sometimes ride with, his other half is a rocket.... looks all nice and cuddly then she sets off and you have to work like a hoarse to keep up hehe
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    SImple trick to buying a bike is sadle go and try them.

We all have different body shapes sizes so different geomety feels better/worse depending.

only way to really decide is go try a few bikes!

And lexie is right few of us went camping in september last year, and there is a couple that we sometimes ride with, his other half is a rocket.... looks all nice and cuddly then she sets off and you have to work like a hoarse to keep up hehe
  • Welcome to the Forum!
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    my friend got a giant xtc 4.5 for £370 on www.paulscycles.co.uk and i think they still ahve it cheap on tredz its a great bike never riden the rockhopper but also looks good. you can get the 3.5 for £450.
  • Hello mate, welcome to the family!!!

I've got the Rockhopper Disc Pro ('07 model) and it's awesome!!!! The Rockhopper range all use the same M4 frame which is ideal for upgrades as & when money & ability allow!! I got back into biking about 5 years ago on an old scott hardtail & saved up for a new bike finally deciding on the Rockhopper. I'm 6'4" and ride a 21 inch frame - would definately suggest a test ride if at all possible. Great bike for riding xc and good for trail centres, flys uphill and makes you grin going down the other side. This bike has definately made me a better more confident rider. Currently trying to convince the wife that I need a Pitch Pro - not going too well with the negotiations to date!!

All the best
    Phil
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I really fancied a hopper and it's definitely a class bike, but when I tested one it just wasn't quite right for me. Buying a bike without riding is a big risk!
  • To keep you updated if at all interested, i ended up purchasing a Rockhopper comp disc 09 for myself £600.

For the darling other half, we decided on a Jamis x trail 3 for £250.

The bike shop also threw in two helmets, after I elected to get the cheapest ones as thought I would be paying for them (should have gone for more expensive, suppose I cant moan though). They also threw in some bike locks.

Anyway, we haven’t had the opportunity to go out on them as of yet. Dying to so much. They are just sat in kitchen just waiting to be used. Keep on hoping round the kitchen on the rockhopper, much to the dissatisfaction of the ball and chain. They both look so nice I don't want to take them out and get em dirty just yet! The joys of a new bike.

On the subject of dirty actually... I am taking the wife to Ravenglass for a dirty valentine weekend (west lake district – just near the coast). Have decided no better opportunity to test bikes out than up in Cumbria.

Can any one suggest any near by trails we can ride??? …. Well that’s if the other half has any energy left to do any ‘out door’ riding :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lots of trails in Cumbria. Check out some of the route guides on this site.
  • ljsalter wrote:
    They are just sat in kitchen just waiting to be used.

Perfect photo opportunity. :lol:

Congrats on the purchase, mine is all new and shiny and waiting to be ridden. Looking forward to this weekend.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.