Maintanance for my MTB?

Ellio
Ellio Posts: 100
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all wasn't sure if there was a guide to maintaining bikes on here and i could find one. if there is please point me in the right direction if not you knowledge would be most helpful. I bought my bike about May time last year and want to keep it in good condition as I love getting out on it. I am going to take it in for a service probably about May/June time but with the weather at the moment I just want to make sure I do the right thing to keep it in tip top condition.

I took the bike out on Satuday did a bit of off road and got it covered in mud when i got home i hosed it down trying to be carefull not to get the chain or gears wet but inevatble they did a bit. i know this wont be a big problem but it got me thinking that I should look after this bike as best I can so it will last. So what I am wanting to know is what oil should i use on the chain to kepp it in good condition (I know to keep well away from WD40)and how often should i use it? also what other things should I be doing on a regular basis to keep it running as best I can?

And just one other thing. ball park figure how much would I be looking at for a service on a bike in a LBS?

Comments

• mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    This should prove useful: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/workshops
  • Ellio
    Ellio Posts: 100
    that looks good thanks
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Ellio wrote:
    I know to keep well away from WD40

There's a lot of hooey talked about WD40/GT85.

I've been using both products as a chain and cable lubricant on pushbikes for 25 years without any problems, and I also use it as a cable lube on motorbikes.

Spray some on a rag and wipe the whole bike over with it after washing, keeps it looking spanky.

Right, I'm off to find some flame-proof underpants.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    WD 40 is good to use when your bike is wet, repels water well, and as a light lube on low friction areas its fine,

but it doesn't replace a real bike lube. Use it after really wet rides and so on to get the water from your gears
  • welcome to the forum.

David
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    WD40 on many parts for me.

Although i do use a specific chain lube (Castrol for MX bikes) for the chain/running gear.
  • mellex
    Keeps my brakes running nice and smooth. Too smooth some might say, but I disagree.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mellex wrote:
    Keeps my brakes running nice and smooth. Too smooth some might say, but I disagree.

Meh, brakes only slow you down... :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mellex
    dave_hill wrote:
    mellex wrote:

Meh, brakes only slow you down... :D

True. Thinking of doing away with them altogether. Reverting back to the old BMX style 'Foot Jam'. Could be interesting... :roll:
  • mellex wrote:
    True. Thinking of doing away with them altogether. Reverting back to the old BMX style 'Foot Jam'. Could be interesting... :roll:

Brings back some good memories that one..... :lol: