Dutch Bike Project

snowboarderstu
snowboarderstu Posts: 2
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Hey everyone! I'd like to say hello to begin with, my name's Stu and I'm a student living in Portsmouth. Ive been lurking round the commuting forum for quite a while but now need to ask for your help.

Ive decided to bring my dad's old bike back to life. Its a traditional dutch bike, a Union Arizona according to the frame, that must be about 25 years old and so is completely different to anything I've serviced before. It has all the traditional features of a dutch bike and makes the first job of looking at the back wheel properly more complicated. In the way is a skirtguard, chainguard, mudguard with a built in light that may be routed to a bottle dynamo on the front wheel, an O lock which is built in to the frame and goes through the top of the back wheel and what is a drum brake i think. You need to pedal backwards in order to operate the brakes.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced fixing up one of these before and knew of any potential pit falls or of any resources, either online or off that i might be able to use.

I'll put some pictures up soon so you can all have a look as it hopefully transforms from the heavy dusty abandoned wreck with two flats it is at the moment to a shiny, functional and stylishly slow commuting beast of a bike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds just like any standard bike from Europe.

depending on how far you want to go with new stuff you could do a lot.

re fixing yep most things should be fixable, dependent on what you actually have.

First things though why are you doing this? restore or make working?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown