Boardman road bike size

Dscotland
Dscotland Posts: 34
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi , im hoping to get a wee bit advise on sizing for Boardman road bike,

im using and old mercian bike with a 23" frame just now and im very interested in getting a boarman road bike

can anyone offer me any advice on which size would suit best ?

i know i should try one for size but the nearest store that stocks them is a 300 mile round trip

ive also been looking at the beone storm bikes in chain reaction cycles and i obviously have the same problem withe size and trying one out with those bike

any advice on either would be greatly appreciated

thanks
dscotland
dlamb

Comments

• pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    How tall are you ? inside leg measurement ?
  • hi, 6ft tall, 34" inside leg
    dlamb
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    Well as a comparison for you, i've been looking at a few bikes including the Boardman Team and the cheaper alternative Storm 1.0 from CRC. I am 6'4 and a 35.5" leg. For myself i'm thinking an XL in the Boardman (57.5cm seat tube but semi compact) and probably 61cm for the Storm. As an estimate I would say you'd be at least a size down, therefore Large in the Boardman and 59cm in the Storm. The top tube length is as important though, how far you are stretched out and ultimately how comfortable you will feel.

:)
  • Hi Dscotland, You're a similar size to me, I'm 5'11" and inside leg of 32", and I have a Large Boardman Comp. I would say I'm on the smaller end of the scale for a Large, so a Large would be fine for you. Not sure on the BeOne sizings.

I would recommend going and trying one first anyway, but if you have the money ready, you can always buy there and then if you're happy with it.

Reserve and Collect online to get the good discount, but then PHONE THE BRANCH to check they have stock. I reserved one at Cambridge and then Peterborough successfully on the website, only to be phoned by the branch staff to say they didn't have my size in stock, despite what the website said.

I ended up having a 130 mile round trip to the nearest store with my size in stock. I phoned and asked them to make the bike up so I could try it, reserved it online, and they still didn't have it ready! 2 1/2 hours later, I had my bike, just in time to sit in friday rush hour traffic on the way home.

I'm not trying to put you off, the bike itself is brilliant, but just to warn you when you're going that far, don't assume everything to be right just because you've asked them to sort it!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • thank you both every much for your replies , i was thinking the large would be right ,
    good to see you agree,

i know halfords sometimes get a bad name for building the bikes,

does anyone know whats involved in building one yourself?

or would i be better to get them to do it anyway ?

thanks
    derek
    dlamb
  • I picked my boardman team up last Thursday, when I got it home and checked it over properly the rear wheel needed straigtening, there was a large scratch one of the rims, the rear brake caliper was loose and there is extreme chain rub on the front.

I'm just going to pay the local bike shop and get it sorted properly, will great bike when it's set up.

However I'm 5'11 with a 32 inside leg and the large was too big for me, a medium is perfect.