Reading and surrounding area

Reme-teer
Reme-teer Posts: 39
edited February 2010 in Routes
hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any places to ride around Reading?

The only place i really go is swinley forest but ive heard that there is a place up near caversham which is quite good to ride and has some North Shore in it does anyone know if this is true and if so where?

Cheers

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Reme-teer wrote:
    hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any places to ride around Reading?

The only place i really go is swinley forest but ive heard that there is a place up near caversham which is quite good to ride and has some North Shore in it does anyone know if this is true and if so where?

Cheers

I work in Reading, it depends on what you want. The 'Downs' around Pangbourne/Didcot/Ilsley etc are brilliant when dry... terrible clay in the winter as we found out 2 weekends ago.

There's a nice gentle trail by canal starting on A33 (by the new lights).

There's a couple of good runs on here in the 'Routes and Riding' section around Stoke Row (Just past Caversham) we may try the Christmas Common one this Sunday ourselves as we would normally be up on the Downs as right by my house, but unless i can find a dry route, we're somewhere else.

Swinley Forest is deffo on the list for near future to ride though.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I certainly wouldn't ride IN reading! The last time that I did, I had a syringe needle through my tyre!! (the honest to god truth!!)

Anyway, I agree with weeksy, the compton/goring section of the Ridgeway is excellent, but slippy and even quite boggy, during the wet season. Around Cane End and Woodcote, there is some nice woodland with small trails. Check it is not private land, or like I once did, you might end up sprinting your best away from some hungry canine monster!!

Hermitage and Newbury have some nice surrounding areas of woodland too worth exploring.

KK.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I've never been able to find any decent trails around the north of Reading/Caversham going to Cane End etc. There always looks like there should be but I never seem to find them!

I don't mind exploring but I guess I'm looking for a few pointers of where to start! Any tips?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    The side of the river :)

Get yourself on a Mountain High rideout on a Sat morning from Pangbourne. Tea and biccies afterwards, bike wash, all free.

Good bunch of lads and cracking routes.