Why do I go out on the road bike?

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Managed to persuade myself to go out on the road bike this morning for the first time in about 4 months. Have been hiding on the mountain bike in the bad weather.

It was cold and stupidly windy
Some drivers were giving me no room when passing
One driver sprayed his windows when passing me, don't think it was just a coincidence
I only managed to average 11 mph on the way out into the wind up the hills
I couldn't feel my feet when I got home
Any resistance to the road bike saddle hurting has gone
The loop that I thought was 40 miles was only 35

but.......

I managed to pick the average speed up to 14 by the time I got home
I managed 35 miles with no stops
My legs felt great and had more miles left in them
The hills felt easier than last time out
I managed to pick up an easy pace and stick to it without racing cars or buses which usually drains my energy
I re-found the sense of peaceful freedom out on the tarmac which hardly ever comes off-road

I came back from my ride thinking how many things had annoyed me and even so had a massive smile on my face and regained my love of getting out on the road :lol::lol:
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    i dont think i have ever come back from a ride without a smile on my face, even the crap rides are good.
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    i dont think i have ever come back from a ride without a smile on my face, even the crap rides are good.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I'm in the same position as you with regard to winter cycling. I have still to do my first road ride though. It'll probably hurt.

regards.jpgfrom.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • I,ve just started cycling on the road and have been riding good milage in stupidly sub-zero temps.....................................Get home cannot feel my toes and my butt is killing me,But LOVE IT

I,m like a pig in Doodah so god knows what i will be like in the summer,Light mornings and the feel of the sun on your back.
  • japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    Steve_F, ever considered heading out with ERC? http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/. Lots of riders of all abilities and can make heading into the wind a lot easier. Especially on days like today!
  • Steve_F
    japsy wrote:
    Steve_F, ever considered heading out with ERC? http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/. Lots of riders of all abilities and can make heading into the wind a lot easier. Especially on days like today!

Was out with them most weeks in June or July then had a really busy month and golf/mountain biking seems to have got in the way on Saturdays. Planning to start coming out again when the nights get light enough to play my golf then. Just had a free weekend this one and have been meaning to get out at some point!

Never stepped up to the 9.45 ride as I knew I was taking a month off but did really enjoy it and will be back.
  • japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    Cool. By the way, you don't ride a Focus, do you?
  • Steve_F
    No, a Giant SCR 1.5. If I remember right someone started around the same time with a nice looking Focus.