New Peak District event March 15th

MarcB
MarcB Posts: 46
Although Leek CC are not promoting the Legbreaker this year we have a new Peak District event on March 15th, the week before Mothers Day, the Credit Crunch Sportive aka Dave Briand Memorial Sportive, my late Father.
We are still finalising the website and some of the event details which will be (hopefully) finished next week, but to give you chance to plan your diary an outline is below.

Date: March 15th
HQ: Den Engel our club sponsors and a Belgian Bar / Grand Cafe, starting and finishing in their cobbled court yard, this may be as close as you can get in this country to a Flandrian cyclosportive.
Fully signposted 52 miles Leek-Ashbourne-Brierlow Bar-Harpur Hill-Axe Edge-Blackshaw Moor-Gun Hill-Leek. Mainly A roads but given the time of year this is the safest option we feel.
1 on route feed station and support car / mechanic
Usual Leek CC hospitality at the finish with a warm meal either soup and a roll for the £7 entry or upgrade to pasta bake or chilli and rice for £3 extra, entries will be online only.
We will be using HTS ™ (Honesty Timing Systems), based on riders self timing. Sounds radical we know but we had enoough reports of people taking short cuts in the Legbreaker and of the few people who had accidents the common thread afterwards was that they 'were racing for a good time'. If you wish to lie about your ride time fine, or you can be honest!

Why the Credit Crunch Sportive? Lets just say that my Father was 'careful' with his money and the title would be quite fitting.
And with the entry fee of only £7 or £10, for a fully featured sportive, we think you've got a bargain.
The proceeds will be split 50 / 50 between the Air Ambulance and Leek CC to invest in developing cycling.
All documentation will be available to download from the website : route card, maps, GPS data etc.
Entry will be limited to 200 riders with parking in the town car parks, which are free of charge on a Sunday

We hope to see plenty of you on the 15th, I'll update this posting as soon as the website is live.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    That looks pretty good, Marc.

Dunno whether you should call it a sportive or a 'reliability', 52 miles but for £7/£10 looks good.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the Trafford 10K that day, but if I'm not, I'll definitely do this.
  • Matty1235
    Matty1235 Posts: 125
    Sounds great, and a fair price aswell, i'll eagerly await the website.
  • looks like a good route to me too....

again - awaitng further details.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Hopefully I'll be there, looks like a good ride.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Excellent. I was gutted about the Legrbeaker, this would be perfect for March, :D
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Sounds good Marc, keep us posted. I shall try and be there.
  • MarcB
    At the risk of duplicatin the new thread the new website is now live and accepting entries at www.davebriandmemorial.co.uk or http://www.leekcyclistsclub.co.uk/DSB_M ... /index.htm

We only have limited spaces of 250 if you want a ride get in quick!!
  • andy_wrx
    Entered...
  • MarcB
    Hi,
    still plenty of spaces left and time to enter...entries close March 12th, ride on March 15th

As close as you'll get to a continental sportive in the UK, HQ and start / finish in the cobbled courtyard of a Belgian bar, 52 miles in the Peak District for the princely sum of £7.50, with feed station, support and food when you finish, we should be fighting you all off!!! Ideal to get your climbing legs going

entry online at www.davebriandmemorial.co.uk
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    sounds good - I just entered. I requested chilli and rice but was still only charged £7.50 - do I pay my £3 on the day?

Got to get over this cold now :(
  • MarcB
    Popette,

I've just checked with entrycentral, they haven't been taking payment for the chilli & rice food option :oops: but have been for the veggie pasta bake.

Could you pay the £3 when you register please?

See you on the day

Marc
  • popette
    No problem :)

See you there

Karen
  • MarcB
    We've got some places available to enter on the line, if you would like to reserve a place for a guaranteed ride contact us from the event website www.davebriandmemorial.co.uk

Weather forecast looks good, 13 degrees and low wind speed 7mph, almost shorts weather!!
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Looks a great day today, am signed but missing the event due to stuff beyond my control unfortunately. I hope people took stun tan lotion :)
  • For those boys and girls that didnt take up the offer to ride this nifty little event, then put it in your diary for next year.
    86 riders turned up for a loop from Leek to Ashbourne to Buxton and then back to Leek. Oh what a ride. We were blessed with the sun, but up on the moors it got a little blowy. Thank goodness for the granny gear on the front, i needed it. And as for Howsy...man your a nail. Riding in shorts, it wasnt that warm and i was cold at the feed just before Buxton, so your must have been freezing my man.
    The final 5 miles were just hell, with a 16% thrown in just to squeeze some more lactate into those tired and aching legs. And why is Leek on a hill, even the last mile was up a never ending hill into the town centre.
    But it was worth it just for the chili and rice, very welcome indeed.
    So Mr Marc Briand, please put this on next year two weeks before the CHeshire Cat, it was a really good leg loosener.
    ANd if the boys and girls at Leek CC do decide to have a ride next year, i will be back there.

Cheers boys, good event.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • popette
    Yes it was a really good day out wasn't it? I thought the event was superbly organised - everyone was really friendly, especially the guys on the feed stop. Some great hills and even better descents - I got a new best ever max of 40.4mph on one of the early ones. The chilli was great; just what I needed after 4 hours of not eating enough (must focus on that in the Cheshire Cat). Thanks to MarcB & everyone who was involved in organising. I would definitely love to come back again next year.

That little detour over the nasty hill at the end was cruel though you buggers . :wink:
  • Was happy with my time even though the sign pointing the wrong way took me and a few others on a (very hilly) detour! Fantastic event, great scenery. Thanks for organising this Marc and the rest of Leek CC. Bring on the Cheshire Cat.
  • andy_wrx
    Good one Marc, enjoyed that.

The A515 was a bit busy perhaps, but other than that a good route : major roads but quiet and traffic OK (I guess you were sticking to the major roads because of potential March weather, although of course in the event it was a nice sunny day).

Finishing at Den Engel for hot food was great !

Thanks to all your marshals out on the day.