Train to the Etape

Funguspunt
Funguspunt Posts: 33
Last year I flew with BA... got on the flight and the captain announced that only 40 of the 82 bikes could fit onto the plane. Good old BA did managed to get all the bikes down eventually but very worrying for 42 people - better though than those we kept meeting who had flown with Easyjet, their bikes never made it - hell of a way to miss an Etape.

So, this year thinking of taking the train. I've taken a bike to South of France on Eurostar/TGV and not really that bad taking the bike across Paris on tube (two stops).

Not sure of what route to take - quick look shows fast train to Valence then local one to Montelimar, but someone else on this forum mentioned TGV to Avignon. I also note that you can get some trains from Lille, which would make the transition from Eurostar to TGV a lot easier.

Anyone figured the route out?

M

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I briefly looked at this but the price for the direct train from Waterloo to Avignon came out very expensive and I looked no further. If anyone has more information on how you can do this for approx same price as airfare, I would also be really interested.

I'm starting to think that we'll be driving it again. :(
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    popette wrote:
    I briefly looked at this but the price for the direct train from Waterloo to Avignon came out very expensive and I looked no further.
    I'm not surprised given that Eurostar services now leave from St Pancras. :wink:

The easiest way to do this is to get the Eurostar to Lille then the TGV direct from Lille to Avignon. It takes about 6 hours door to door. The cost is likely to be around £150 per person. You can book from 3 months in advance.
  • If there's more than one of you, consider also driving. I often drive through France and, although it's a long journey, it's quite a relaxing one, traffic is nowhere near as bad as in the UK.
    It is expensive though, between petrol, tolls, ferry (or tunnel) you are looking at 250 pounds more or less. However, if you find a reasonably priced crossing and If there's two of you or more it makes sense.
    Consider also you can bring back lots of wine, cheese, sausages and you're free to move around.
    left the forum March 2023
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    If you do decide on the train option there is a direct service from St Pancras to paris then there's a TGV which goes fast to Lyon then picks up the normal line and stops in Montelimar. i caught this train last November.
    It's bit of hassle in paris getting from Gar du Nord to gar de Lyon with a bike bag but it's only two stops and worth it if you can go direct to Montelimar.
    When searching the TGV website look for the Paris to Marseille service which stops at Lyon la Part Dieu.
  • I took the train last year so make sure you phone up EuroStar and book a place for your bike. Its cost £20 and you get your own dedicated space in the hold. On the TGV's they allow you to bring your bikes on. There is also TGV-i's which allow you to wheel your bike on and leave it in the hold. Meaning you can wheel it on to the EuroStar ride to Gare du Lyon then wheel it onto thr next train - ie you never have to break it apart. That makes a big difference.
    Funguspunt wrote:
    Last year I flew with BA... got on the flight and the captain announced that only 40 of the 82 bikes could fit onto the plane. Good old BA did managed to get all the bikes down eventually but very worrying for 42 people - better though than those we kept meeting who had flown with Easyjet, their bikes never made it - hell of a way to miss an Etape.

So, this year thinking of taking the train. I've taken a bike to South of France on Eurostar/TGV and not really that bad taking the bike across Paris on tube (two stops).

Not sure of what route to take - quick look shows fast train to Valence then local one to Montelimar, but someone else on this forum mentioned TGV to Avignon. I also note that you can get some trains from Lille, which would make the transition from Eurostar to TGV a lot easier.

Anyone figured the route out?

M