Not the second coming, as Armstrong returns

Schmidthouse
Schmidthouse Posts: 134
edited January 2009 in Pro race
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/ ... 47449.html

It wasn't the second coming but at times it seemed like it wasn't far from it.

American cycling legend and seven times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong fronted the media in Adelaide today ahead of his return to the professional peleton for the Tour Down Under.

And despite the hype and unprecedented global interest in almost every aspect of his story and his life, he laughed off suggestions his comeback was a bit like the return of Jesus Christ.

"I've been called a lot of things in my life ... and I don't know that he rode either," Armstrong said.

"He did a lot of things, but I don't know that he rode."

Armstrong said while he paid some attention to the hysteria that surrounded him he tried to filter out the extremes, preferring not to believe the most flattering of reports and the most negative.

"I guess it boils down to just trying to stay grounded, trying not to be too obsessed with all of this," he said.

He admitted the attention had been more then he expected but said that it was also good for cycling and good for the primary reason he was back, the global fight against cancer.

Looking fit, Armstrong took questions on a diverse and sometimes bizarre range of topics from his cycling form and his global quest to conquer cancer, to German politics, doping in cycling and what his ultimate legacy might be.

Hanging off every word were more than 150 journalists, photographers and camera crews, the media conference stretching at least 20 minutes beyond the 45 minutes set by his Astana team minders.

At the end he declared it the most enjoyable of his career.

He said he was nervous about racing again and while the competitive juices had already started to flow, success at the Tour Down Under just meant not being the first one dropped in Tuesday's opening stage.

"I come here with modest expectations, mixed with nerves, mixed with excitement," he said.

"But no major goals, other than to make it through."

There were butterflies, he said.

"I think that's healthy and if I didn't have that then I probably shouldn't be here."

But if he truly was nervous, it didn't show.

Armstrong joked at times, was serious at others but above all else took every question in his stride.

He seemed not only physically well prepared to resume his professional career but more than mentally ready to handle the challenges presented by three years away from the sport and any lingering doubts about declarations that he always raced clean.

He was so relaxed, he said, because he was having fun.

"I'm doing it because I love to do it," he said.

"I've recaptured the passion, I want to do it.

"By me going out there and living my life and having fun and telling this story, I think it makes a difference."

"I'm just having a hell of a good time."

AAP
There's no time for hesitating.
Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
Primed to do it's educating.

Comments