singlespeed question, help

greigcluck
greigcluck Posts: 125
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
what width of chain should i be buying for singlespeed? thamks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The width of your cogs. 1/8th will fit anything, is slightly stronger but will be rattly on a 3/32 setup. 3/32 won't fit 1/8th rings or sprockets, and is slightly weaker, but runs very nicely on a full 3/32 setup.
  • does it matter about width of chainring then, cos none of the chainrings i've looked at seem to tell you the width, cheers.
  • tripwire
    tripwire Posts: 505
    Yeah, you can get both 1/8" and 3/32" chainrings, so have to take that into account too.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    greigcluck wrote:
    does it matter about width of chainring then, cos none of the chainrings i've looked at seem to tell you the width, cheers.
    If they don't say, they're almost certainly 3/32.
  • so cant go wrong with 1/8th chain then, thinking of getting kmc singlespeed chain, with maybe half link, anyone used kmc chains, how do they join, is it the same as the sram power link?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    If it helps, I have a 3/32 chainset and a 1/8th sprocket and chain - works fine! I was under the impression that 3/32 was mostly used for geared bikes anyway?!
  • I have a KMC halflink chain, they join with a special 'easy use link pin' which is anything but easy to use, you will definitely need a chain tool. However, I do actually prefer halflink chains. The hollowpin ones are lighter.

Also, I got mine from winstanleys, and it was too short to the extent that I actually had to buy another chain and splice two together. Jashburnham, who is on holiday at the minute, had a link for a guy who sold half-link chains and would get you extra links if they were too short...
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Also, I got mine from winstanleys, and it was too short to the extent that I actually had to buy another chain and splice two together. Jashburnham, who is on holiday at the minute, had a link for a guy who sold half-link chains and would get you extra links if they were too short...

are you thinking of Charlie the Bike Monger?
    www.charliethebikemonger.com
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell