can you use Halfords cycle 2 work scheme @ other shops?

manofsteel
manofsteel Posts: 68
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Hi. First time on here so apologies if this question is in the wrong place!
My employer is using the Halfords cycle to work scheme. Does anyone know of any independent retailers that will accept these vouchers (I know that Merlin Cycles accept them but I want a road bike)
I will use halfords if I have to but would prefer a bit more choice!
Cheers
'Pain is just weakness leaving your body'

Charge Duster SS
GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
'03 Stumpy HT
Ribble Sportive Racing

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,254
    It depends on the type of scheme your employer has agreed with Halfords, but if it's the good one you can buy any frame you want through them. Some shops, i.e. Condor in London, take the vouchers directly or you can choose the bike you want they source it via Halfords Cycle2Work admin people. They get the bike but you have to pick it up from your local Halfords.
  • My company also use Halfords and as far as i`m aware you can only use the voucher with them.

They say they can source any bike you want and were able to get my Felt, it did take 3 months but i don`t know if that was Halfords fault or just a lack of stock.
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    you can use at the leisure lakes stores which can get most bikes
  • I purchased my Mercian through my LBS who dealt with all the administration through the local Halfords. It can be done, but I think it is mainly dependent on the willingness of LBS and Halfords to liase. Halfords are able to source far more bike/frame options directly than people initially realize as mentioned above.
  • manofsteel wrote:
    Hi. First time on here so apologies if this question is in the wrong place!
    My employer is using the Halfords cycle to work scheme. Does anyone know of any independent retailers that will accept these vouchers (I know that Merlin Cycles accept them but I want a road bike)
    I will use halfords if I have to but would prefer a bit more choice!
    Cheers

Got my Ridley through Halfords. Took a few weeks but no problems. However, I understand that Ribble Cycles and also Royles in Wilmslow will accept Halford vouchers so should be no problem getting a road bike.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Pearson Cycles will also accept them. I received my collection letter a week ago and I am now waiting for my new Hanzo to be built and delivered.
  • My company also use the Halfords C2W scheme, and I couldn't find any shop local that would accept Halfords 'Letter of Collection'.

So I phoned the Halfords C2W number, and they ordered a Spesh ful-suss mtb for me, and I got it delivered to a Halfords in Liverpool, where one of the mechanics there had been recommended by Quinns Cycles. Had a good check over, and he'd done a good job of putting it together.

One of my work mates was after a road bike, and when he phoned Halfords, they said they could get most bikes. A couple examples they gave him were a carbon Viner and carbon Ribble. Both about the £1000 limit.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • My company also used Halfords for the ride to work scheme. I wanted a Scott Scale which Halfords didn't stock. Contacted Halfords and they sourced one from Leisure Lakes. This then came from Leisure Lakes directly. If I was to change anything, I'd collect it myself from the shop, so that I could get it setup by their mechanics.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a Ridley Crossbow from Pearson Cycles. They were great over the phone and were a great help with deciding what size I needed. :)
    'Pain is just weakness leaving your body'

Charge Duster SS
    GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
    '03 Stumpy HT
    Ribble Sportive Racing
  • Daws1
    Daws1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

My employer (a local council) is signed up to the Cycle Plus scheme. The bike I want however is the Boardman 2010 Team Carbon through Halfords (which has gained great reviews from everything I have read).

From what I can gather I am only able to purchase through an independent retailer.

I'm therefore worried that I will have quite the opposite problem to some of the people that have posted here.

Has anyone been in a similar quandry? Has anyone come across a way of getting round this problem?

Cheers
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    C2W can be used in many shops but not Evans. They only accept their own bike to work scheme vouchers.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    I got a Specialized through Halfords. To cut a long story short, I had a problem, contacted Specialized (manufacturing problem), and was told ... As far as Specialized are concerned the bike is "second hand", and further, that if they found out the dealer who supplied it, they would take action against them ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?