Newbie!!! Looking for Sportives round Leicester/Midlands

drumsmasher
drumsmasher Posts: 241
I am looking to start entering some Sportives this year for the 1st time and wondered if anyone knew of any in the Leicestershire/Midlands area. I am aware of the Dono Park one in May, but cant find anything before. If anyone has any info i'd be grateful. Thanks.
Another tree...another cracked rib!!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cheers mate. i'll keep my eye on their site when its sorted.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Sunday 1st Feb - 9.30am - VC Long Eaton reliability - old post office (it's between the centre and the station) - Long Eaton - normally a decent turnout.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Thanks Tom, I'll have a look at that one.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have a read of THIS thread. Some useful suggestions when i asked a similar question at the end of last year.
    THere is also the great nottingham bike ride that has a 50 and a 100 around about september.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • There is the Squires and Spires ride on 3rd May. I think this is a new one and the long route is about 80 miles. HQ is Naseby, Northants. Think I might register for this myself.

More details can be found on www.cyclosport.org
  • There is the Midlands Monster on 17th May. Starting in Rosliston and going out into the Peak DIstrict. I will be volunteering for this as a helper, as my new club CC Giro are co-working on this with Wheels in Wheels who organise the Forst of Dean Spring Classic.
    It should be a great event with an interesting course, trust me.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Thanks all!! Best my pedalling legs on...plenty to go at there. Cheers for your replies!
  • I am looking to start entering some Sportives this year for the 1st time and wondered if anyone knew of any in the Leicestershire/Midlands area. I am aware of the Dono Park one in May, but cant find anything before. If anyone has any info i'd be grateful. Thanks.

You might also try some local-ish audax rides. There are some good ones with quite some challenging routes if you don't want to venture far. I'll be doing a mixture of Audax and sportive rides this year.
    And because bikeradar forum guys up in Yorkshire have organised fabby rides there for forum members, I feel I should do my bit and organise a 100km ride around Leicestershire/warks/northants. Actually I have one ride sorted already.... Just need to find a Sunday to give it a whirl. Just a pity that ColinJ, Blonde and some of the other guys won't be able to make it down here.....not enough hills you see.! :shock:
    JB
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • I am looking to start entering some Sportives this year for the 1st time and wondered if anyone knew of any in the Leicestershire/Midlands area. I am aware of the Dono Park one in May, but cant find anything before. If anyone has any info i'd be grateful. Thanks.

You might also try some local-ish audax rides. There are some good ones with quite some challenging routes if you don't want to venture far. I'll be doing a mixture of Audax and sportive rides this year.
    And because bikeradar forum guys up in Yorkshire have organised fabby rides there for forum members, I feel I should do my bit and organise a 100km ride around Leicestershire/warks/northants. Actually I have one ride sorted already.... Just need to find a Sunday to give it a whirl. Just a pity that ColinJ, Blonde and some of the other guys won't be able to make it down here.....not enough hills you see.! :shock:
    JB

Cheers John. Yeah i have been looking at Audax's on the Audax Uk site. I had never heard of them until yesterday but there looks to be some good days out there. i'll start drawing up a list of ones that look possible. Cheers again for your help mate.
  • Cheers John. Yeah i have been looking at Audax's on the Audax Uk site. I had never heard of them until yesterday but there looks to be some good days out there. i'll start drawing up a list of ones that look possible. Cheers again for your help mate.

Let me know which ones you settle on. If I'm doing them, we could team up for a while on the ride.

JB
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

• fosst
    fosst Posts: 45
    "feel I should do my bit and organise a 100km ride around Leicestershire/warks/northants. Actually I have one ride sorted already.... Just need to find a Sunday to give it a whirl."

as another Hinckley rider doing 100km most Sundays, and barely straying out of Leicestershire, do you want to compare notes?
  • fosst wrote:
    "feel I should do my bit and organise a 100km ride around Leicestershire/warks/northants. Actually I have one ride sorted already.... Just need to find a Sunday to give it a whirl."

as another Hinckley rider doing 100km most Sundays, and barely straying out of Leicestershire, do you want to compare notes?

Sounds good to me. I'll pm you with my e-addy

• neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I've heard rumours of a 50miler on 15th Feb around Leicester.... does anyone know anything about it?

• neil² wrote:
    I've heard rumours of a 50miler on 15th Feb around Leicester.... does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx? ... entid=1069