Do I need a new bike?!!!!!!

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Good job Spitchips isn't still here! :wink:

I'd recommend riding a few and see what suits you best - I'd go with a road bike with drop bars, others prefer flat-bar hybrids. Many road bikes now have more upright geometry that will lend itself well to commuting.
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    miles do you do and how affected by the wind are you on your journey.

I find drop handle bars far better due to the lower riding position and less wind resistance.

I use a cyclocross bike and it has been fabulous.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I am often tempted to swap my steel ladies light tourer with flat handlebars - ie lightweight hybrid type - for a road bike for my 6 mile each way commute. But then come to my senses.

I use cycle tracks, I hop kerbs, I need to brake fast in gridlocked London traffic, I dont want to be tempted to cycle round round-abouts as opposed to using the pavement cycle track ...

Besides, I can park this bike anywhere - even Elephant & Castle all day - and it won't get nicked. My road bike (Trek 1.7) is for fun, not commuting. Two bikes works well for me.
  • Why don't you just go and testride some road bikes? If you like it and really want one, get one - if not, then at least you know drops are not for you.
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    When I was buying my first bike Evans were very happy for me to have a 15 minute ride - I didn't ask for more.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Any decent LBS should let you have a test ride with the security of a credit card. My LBS (John's Bikes, Bath) encourages short test rides and doesn't ask for security!
  • Webs of Warmley let me test ride one of there bikes, and the staff are really nice. I would say get the best bike you can afford as you will regret it otherwise. You can always upgrade, but it will be more expensive.

:D
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Stanley222 wrote:
    ....if I spend the best part of £1k and decide I dont like drop bars then it's a big waste of money!!!

Not if you buy it on cyclescheme - if you find you don't use the bike you could probably sell it for near enough what you actually paid for it :)

My advice would be too avoid Sora shifters and get a bike with Tiagra at least. Whatever you buy you might find you need to change things like the stem, bars or seat to get it to feel 'right' (something you probably could have done with your SCR, unless the thing that doesn't feel right is drop bars....).

Bikes like the Giant FCR range, Specialized Sirrus, etc. might suit you if drops just aren't your thing.
    More problems but still living....