Greasing new wheel hub required? (photo included)

t0ny
t0ny Posts: 59
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I have just purchased some new wheels, but thought I had better check what I need to do in terms of grease before putting some miles in.

Here is a photo of the new wheel hub with the old cassette installed on it:

hub.jpg

What I want to know is does the hub need to have grease put into it, as my old wheel hub appears to have some?

If so what grease do I need to put in there?

Thanks for any help
Planet X Pro Carbon SL
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    I assume you aren't talking about stripping the hub down and re-greasing the bearings - These should already be suitably greased and set up if its a new hub.

Personally I tend to put a bit of copper grease under the cassette - i.e. on the splines between it and the cassette and also on the shaft of the skewer. These aren't rotating parts but coppa-slip or similar makes sure they wont stick together and be a pig to dismantle. Normal grease would probably work fine for both these applications too.

Al
  • t0ny
    t0ny Posts: 59
    No nothing that complicated, I had to look up how to remove the cassette in the first place!

The part i mean to grease is in the hub under where the the cassette lockring goes. Does that make sense? My other wheel hub has grease in it there....
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    no grease there would do nothing useful - there are no bearings there- you can put a dab of grease on the thread of the lockring but no more.

Grease is required on bearing surfaces but too much grease does nothign apart from making one large mess
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well in your picture the cassette is fitted but not locked in place, you can put some grease in there to help reduce any water ingress but that is it really.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown