Cateye velo 8 just packed up

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited January 2009 in The workshop
had a good 6 weeks off bike over winter due to ill health etc but started going back on bike this week

i resest the unit to get a 0 on the odometer so i can start again, i done a few commutes and it was fine, however went out this morning and nothing, not a snitch, its just not working

its set up just how it was before and suddenly not working today, any ideas??

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Cold weather affecting dodgy battery?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Magnet/sensor been knocked? Next most likely option is a dead/dying battery.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Is anything showing on the dispalyat all? If there is the contacts may be mucky
  • andy83
    checked all the sensor and magnet and all fine

the time has always been showing on it. i tightened the back up and when i was leaving work last night it worked like a dream lol

must have been summin loose and hopefully sorted

just hope it dont pack in tomo when on way to work lol
  • andy83
    worked again for bout 3 rides then just decided to stop, think next stop is to try get a new battery, failing that might just get a decent one with cadence etc, but am waiting for new road bike for all new gadgets lol
  • Yardstick
    Yardstick Posts: 702
    Check the contacts between the comp and the battery have not rusted. I know my Velo 8 cuts out in torrential rain and doesn't like water getting onto these contacts (one solution is to use vaseline (tip from Mark - record circumnavigation by bike - Beaumont).

I also had a Velo 8 stop working before christmas - after a couple days trying to fix it, I decided to repossition the sensor (needed a screw driver and a fair amount of force to do it) but it turns out that the sensor had moved over time because once repositioned it has worked fine.
  • andy83
    well it decided to start working again today after i gave up on it lol

most annoying thing was i didnt even get 10 meters from house and fell off bike so had to walk to work pushing it watching the speedo work!

think it may be changing from one temp to another. it had a prbolem when i took it in the house which is warm then went out side, and realised when i left it in bag at work was near a radioator, but it has worked if i leave it on the bike, so guess that is the best option for me

just need to get a good check of bike friday when off work as hope fall hasnt damaged anything