Seat Height

shamone
shamone Posts: 55
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Newbie question:

I bought a new Scott Genius MC-30 frame (medium) from E-Bay which I have just built up. Should I be able to put both feet flat on the floor when sat on the saddle?

I tried lowering the saddle, but my leg ended up at 90 degrees on the top of the stroke.

I do have an inch stand-over height (I understand this is not a lot), but the saddle is a good few inches above this.

Any thoughts appreciated as this is my first venture into MTBing.

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ok general conventious is rouoghly, at full leg extension (crank at the bootomm in line with seat tube roughly) your leg should be nearly but not quite straight.
  • shamone
    shamone Posts: 55
    Does it matter than I'm on the balls of my feet to reach the ground when sat on the saddle?
  • thats kinda how it should be, you could put it higher if needed, and aslong as you remember to lean as you get off, depends on what your gonna be doing
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    i prefer to keep mine at its lowest position. I rarely, if ever, raise it beyond that. this isnt a suggestion for you to do the same, its just my personal preference.
  • I was always taught that when the crank is fully down (full leg extension) you should be able to slide your hand between your seat and your arse. Don't slide your hand between someone elses seat and arse though, or your ears will go red.

I actually have my seat a little below this (not much) as it makes it easier for me to slide off the back of the seat when I have to.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If you can put your feet flat on the ground it's far too low for general riding around. A good guide to height is to have your leg pretty much straight with your heel on the pedal- then when you have the ball of your foot on the pedal when riding there'll be some bend in your knee. That should get you roughly in the right place to start fine tuning.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Easy way to do it, sit on seat with pedal at bottom of stroke, place heel on pedal, raise seat til you leg is straight (but not stretched), you should now have a slight bend in your leg when your foot is on the pedal..job done....but you may want to lower it slightly depending on what terrain you ride.