Major River Crossings

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
As far as I'm aware, there are foot and cycle routes across the Tay, Forth, Humber & Severn crossings alongside the main road/motorway.

Is there a similar facility on the Dartford Bridge ? If not, then whats the best way to cross here (besides swimming :? )

DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedi ... ord-Tunnel

No access to cycles on bridge or tunnel, but does mention a shuttle service!

Strap in and hold tight, Houston we have a problem :lol::lol:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Yes there is a shuttle. A minibus with a trailer hovers around by tunnel control. Never done it myself, but I assume you just turn up, make yourself known and then someone will drive you through. No mention of cost either ?free.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • batch78 wrote:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Dartford-Tunnel

No access to cycles on bridge or tunnel, but does mention a shuttle service!

Strap in and hold tight, Houston we have a problem :lol::lol:

It says in your link that the M25 ends before the bridge and that the bridge itself is the A282. Being an "A" road should mean that you can ride it.....not that you may want to for safety reasons though!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Well the bridge is only southbound, and the tunnel runs northbound and I am pretty sure there is a no cycling sign on both directions of the bridge.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I'm assuming its got a special excemption placed on it.

Also its possibly a little unsafe as you say, 60mph crosswinds aren't my idea of fun. :shock:

Look here also http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4075.aspx free for bikes.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I wouldn't want to cycle through the tunnels or over the bridge, pure madness. I must admit I don't think you are allowed to anyhow.

Not too sure how the shuttle works when you are southbound, the tolls are at the end of the bridge, and I have never seen anything like that waiting at the north side of the bridge.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    SBezza wrote:
    I wouldn't want to cycle through the tunnels or over the bridge, pure madness. I must admit I don't think you are allowed to anyhow.

Not too sure how the shuttle works when you are southbound, the tolls are at the end of the bridge, and I have never seen anything like that waiting at the north side of the bridge.

Look to your left at the start of the bridge, just after the last slip road onto it.