Record rides using GPS?

robertjmiller
robertjmiller Posts: 40
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Does anybody record their rides using a GPS device, download their tracking points to their computer, and, finally, upload their tracking points into Google Maps? If so, what GPS device and software do you use? Also, what is the most affordable option?

The Nokia Sports Tracker phone looks cool but I don't want to use their web site.

Comments

• myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I use a Garmin e-trex and then download to my PC using Garmin Map-source software. If you buy the basic version of the latter, it covers the world, but only at quite basic resolution (eg if you are on a coast road at times the route you take looks like it goes into the sea) and not all major roads appear on it. However you get a complete record of your route, pace etc and if your GPS records altitude its great for getting profiles of climbs. More expensive versions are available but I find it simpler just to cut and paste the data from Mapsource into Google Maps, then you get a very accurate track on Google maps (if you zoom in you can see which side of the road you were riding on). Haven't done it for a while so I'm a bit rusty. If no-one else can help I'll try and remember all that was involved and send you an illustrative file.

Myopic
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I use a Garmin e-trex and then download to my PC using Garmin Map-source software. If you buy the basic version of the latter, it covers the world, but only at quite basic resolution (eg if you are on a coast road at times the route you take looks like it goes into the sea) and not all major roads appear on it. However you get a complete record of your route, pace etc and if your GPS records altitude its great for getting profiles of climbs. More expensive versions are available but I find it simpler just to cut and paste the data from Mapsource into Google Maps, then you get a very accurate track on Google maps (if you zoom in you can see which side of the road you were riding on). Haven't done it for a while so I'm a bit rusty. If no-one else can help I'll try and remember all that was involved and send you an illustrative file.

Myopic
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    I use a Sony Ericsson Cybershot C702. Which is not too bad. Occasionally if I am in a heavily wooded area it may drop out but generally its been ok. If you want a lock on the satellites quickly/er it uses the net aswell which can cost a bit of air time but you can switch that off. It saves in the standard gpx format so no issue with downloading and overlaying on google. Has sat nav aswell and direct access to google maps. Supposed to be splash proof but I bought an extra clear acrylic case just for a bit of extra knock protection. Not as good as a dedicated but does the job and does mean I don't have to have another piece of kit!
  • I use a Garmin Geko 201 (£70 + serial cable). I download to Memory Map (not cheap) for myself, but usually send the tracks out to mates to look at in Google Earth.
    I occasionally use it with routes uploaded for navigation, but mostly it works as a fancy cycle computer.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I use a Garmin Edge 305 which I download to http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ which I can then view on Google Earth.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Thanks. A phone like the Sony Ericsson Cybershot C702 is probably the most affordable option but those Garmins look nice too.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Garmin 305 Forerunner & onto Garmin's own or MotionBased.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC, does Garmin or MotionBased generate a KMZ file that you can load into Google Maps?
  • FSR_XC wrote:
    Garmin 305 Forerunner & onto Garmin's own or MotionBased.

Me too great piece of kit and can be picked up cheaply via ebay as the new smaller versions are out now.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Most of my rides are mapped on the Nokia 6220 and uploaded to SportsTracker.

On completing a route I upload direct to the Nokia service but the other options are to upload direct to Google Earth, or export the route as a GPX XML or CSV file which is pretty much everything available I think.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • seataltea
    I should add I've only ever used the SportsTracker service so can't vouch for how the other options work but they are all choices available on the 6220. It's also worth noting that the mapping system used by Nokia is Google and the SportsTracker system is still in Beta.

There sounds to be many new things in the pipeline from Nokia including live tracking so your other half could watch you in realtime riding the route. That way she'll know when to put the kettle on just before you arrive home.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • seataltea
    I should add I've only ever used the SportsTracker service so can't vouch for how the other options work but they are all choices available on the 6220. It's also worth noting that the mapping system used by Nokia is Google and the SportsTracker system is still in Beta.

There sounds to be many new things in the pipeline from Nokia including live tracking so your other half could watch you in realtime riding the route. That way she'll know when to put the kettle on just before you arrive home.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012