Hey there - brake question.

Adamski91
Adamski91 Posts: 21
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
So I decided to get into mountain biking for the new year and as soon as my exams are over I'm going to look into buying a bike to get into the jist of things, probably a hardtail to get me going and I'll upgrade as I go.
I don't know much about the whole MTBing thing but I'm learning as I go, and have been looking at a few hardtail bikes that I've been considering buying (seen one or two on ebay, hardly used, etc etc).

Anyway, my question is:
If I go down the route of buying a brand new bike, will I be better off getting one with V brakes, or discs? I've noticed that discs can be considerably more expensive and I don't have much money to play around with (£300 max in a few weeks).
I know it's probably a stupid question with an obvious answer (discs) but for the extra amount of money is it worth it?

Thanks.

P.S. any advice on bikes is appreciated too (I've looked through the sticky but there's only 4 or 5 in my price range).

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nah, you've nailed a tricky question for the beginner. Discs are better for almost all jobs, really, but in your price range you'll always have to compromise on something else to get hydro discs, there's not enough money to go around. I'd sooner have Vs and a better frame or fork, personally. Discs are fantastic, don't get me wrong, I'd find it hard to go back as I've got used to the all weather performance... But they're not essential, and at your price range there's some really nice v-brake models.

If you do go with Vs, get a bike that'll upgrade- frame, fork and wheels with disc mounts, and ideally not combined brake and gear controls.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have one of these to start me off.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-08-28703

Had it for a little while now frame is good and have now started to upgrade it with shimano xt gear. Looking for some good forks to upgrade to at the moment.
    Comes with good gear to start you off with and not to expensive if you dont fancy it after having ago. I liked it and was happy with the frame so adding to it made sense to take MTBing a step further.
    Check it out but there are other bikes out there.
  • welcome to the forum
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    youre better off with a good set of v brakes than a budget set of hydros any day. theyre lighter, easier to set up and much easier to maintain. for starters.

dont get caught in the 'its new so I must have it!!' trap. too many riders do that and buy bikes that look the part (from a distance anyway) but fail in every single aspect of thier performance.

you can get a reasonable bike for £300, but find a half price sale and you are looking at much more bike for your money, a £600 bike will have decent everything on it and you wont be forced to compromise 90% of the bike for one inessential part of it.
  • go without discs for the moment, get as good a frame and forks as your money will buy you, and enjoy the bike while putting some money aside, if your riding starts to require better stopping power then you can opt for discs, providing the frame you buy is compatible.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Welcome to the forum, good luck with your exams - I have my last 3 January Modules next week!

Take a look at these bikes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29070

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25442

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25443

I recommend the last one, nice forks and a decent frame from a reputable manufacturer.
  • Woo, I don't feel so stupid for asking that question now.
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah Miss, I was recently looking on eBay at a GT Avalcnhe 3.0 (disc) and I think a Giant Yukon (again with discs).
    If I see those cheap again should I take them if I can?

I was looking at the BeOne as well.
    Wish I had some money.
    Good luck with yours too, my last is the 21st. Can't wait til it's over, starting up everything again. :)
  • I have V's on my trail bike and for anything I have ridden they have been fine. Even on the steepest descents they provide good stopping, slowing power and modulation. On a light, decent frame, especially a hardtail, the money you pay for discs over V's won't realize enough of a change in performance. Now when you get to talking about FS, a heaver frame, a good set of discs, and more money, than discs shine. But on an entry level V's are perfectly adequate for stopping, and super easy to maintain. And in wet conditions, you just have to change your braking strategy a bit and compensate for the delay in slowing. It'll make you a better rider :D . But, I thank god at the end of every run for the Saint discs on my DH rig. :wink: I've only heard good about the Avalanche and they seem decent spec'd for an entry level.

Jim