2009/01/14 Hackney, London Kona Kikapu 9

MinhDinh
MinhDinh Posts: 9
edited January 2009 in MTB stolen
Well I received my kona kikapu 9 from wiggle on monday this week. I got it to get fit and lose weight for my wedding in june or so. I am a muslim and went mosque at 7.30. I had a lesson with a teacher so i came out at about 8.30 i think. Even though this is hackney, i didn't realise it was so easy to break through a D lock. so within a matter of 2 hours my bike was taken. i had to lock it 15 secs away from the mosque which i guess was not a good idea.

it was stolen on morning lane, in hackney london. i paid 452 pounds from wiggle. i am pretty angry because it was my first bicycle and i only spent 450 (which is a lot to me) because it was to get me fit and looking good for my wedding.

it's probably never to be seen anymore. well i do have the seat if i was a glass full kinda guy

minh :(

Comments

• Gutted for you mate :(
    thieving scum really p*ss me off.

Take it you've told the police etc etc? probably wont be able to help much, but its worth a try.
  • Sorry chap thats rough :(

In my opinion locking up a MTB (or any decent bike) in the street is just a matter of time, from experience.
    If they don't steal it, they'll mangle it, trying to steal it.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Sorry to hear that, that's real bad luck, I feel for you. :(
  • yeah i have phoned the police. the guy on the first phone call didn't really help much and moaned that i called 999 when it wasn't an emergency. i suppose he has a point. so when i got home i called again to give more details because he didn't even ask for my home number or work etc or even the name of the bike. the second communications officer was really helpful and asked for a frame reference. i didn't have one but have emailed wiggle if they have it by any chance. also some random guy from my mosque drove me around for 10 mins to look for it but 2 hours is plenty of time to get out of the area.

even though i'm 23 my mum shouted at me because she told me to save money for my wedding and 450 was too much when i'm not earning a lot. i am feeling gutted but i guess i can look forward to not having such a sore arse anymore. i'm upset that i didn;t get to enjoy the bike on a trail or anything. i was planning to ride along a canal on my day off tomorrow but oh well. i only rode the bike to work and home so it's done about 9 miles. i'll have to save up from after the wedding and try for another kona. well i'll have to look at a mortgage etc and think of priorities but even after 3 days i have the bike bug. i guess i should set up a hobby fund for my bike :) all the best guys
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    I felt the same way when my highly upgraded cannondale Prophet was stolen from a marks and spencer . Most thieves know that a bike with a rear shock that isn't a coilspring and discbrakes is worth taking .
    Next time you buy a D-lock , get one that is solid secure gold approved .My current bike a scott ransom 40 is equipped with a abus granite D -lock which according to reviews actually broke the cutting tools that were being used to break into it .
    Couple this with cycle insurance like cycle guard too especially where your located