Rebuild of old Raleigh hybrid

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
edited January 2009 in The workshop
I use an auld Raleigh hybrid bike as my winter commuter. It's a steel beast with threaded headset, 5 speed block and 3 chainrings. Retro, i know.
What i'd ideally like is to replace the three chainrings for just the one (i have a square taper BB and the chainrings are welded into one piece which is bolted to the crank) and keep keep the 5-speed cassette (but replace with a new one).
So i'll have a nice simple 5 speed bike. I dont need any more gears than that.
Questions are: would it be feasible to do, and how (can you even buy 5 speed deraillers these days (my current one is knackered) and if not, could i put an 8 speed cassette on instead? Its the old style screw hub.
I know it will cost more than the bike is worth (and some) but i like recycling and the bike has a certain sentimental value as it carried me faithfully through last winter before i replaced it.
Thank you in advance,
H

Comments

• bluecow
    It's a Raleigh Max Ogre, in case anybody here is an expert in antiques.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh fun.

where does one start.

how much are you wanting to spend?

measure axle length on current bb buy suitable modern 3 ring crankset with removable rings. Fit suitable ring. ( or buy without rings and fit suitable)

the mech is not actually 5 speed, that is the shifter. you should be able to get away with using a 7/8spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluecow
    Not wanting to spend a mega amount. Just basic bits that i dont mind getting trashed in the winter rain/salt. I was just curious to know if it was going to be viable or id be searching the "special interests" forum for obscure parts!
    Thank you!
  • You might be out of luck when trying to move from five to eight speeds at the back. I bought an old bike with a screw hub and tried to do the same thing. I found that the axle length was not wide enough to enable me to fit the seven speed screw on hub I had bought.
  • bluecow
    I think nicklouse means that i can get away with 7/8 speed derailler...? I could be wrong. I currently use a 6-speed chain and it doesnt skip at all.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If various people on this board don't have unwanted 5-speed equipment in their sheds I'd be very surprised! Anyone?
  • bluecow
    Good thinkin' batman.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Depending on the mech fitting, I may have a brand spanking new rear mech you can have for a fiver (Shimano Tourney). It's the type to fit frames without a mech hanger, which I would guess yours is, a picture would confirm.
  • bluecow
    I think that would fit. The current mech is attached directly to the hub. Sort of... Im not so clued up on the old bike gear. But in any case, its worth a fiver just to find out. Can i have it?
  • bluecow
    This is what is presently on the bike:
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/images/RDTY15SSN.jpg