Winter Snot Nose!

LeonZ
LeonZ Posts: 6
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm new to road cycling but have done my reading of the odd forum and informed website, but there is still one problem i have not solved and that is winter snot nose! Its driving me mad, I get up on a sunday morning all enthusiastic about going for a ride, then 10minutes in and every 5minutes afterwards im having to blow my nose.

Does anyone have any idea of how to get round this problem other than use my gloves and breathe through my mouth, as it takes the fun out of the ride.

Cheers

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    The old "Indian hanky" works a treat (hint, always check for passing cyclists first), otherwise you could try nose clips like what them swimmers wear.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    otherwise you could try nose clips like what them swimmers wear.
    Wouldn't your head just fill up to the eye sockets in snot this way? :shock:

Just snort it out - it feels wrong at first, but as long as you don't deliberately aim it at someone you'll be fine.
  • LeonZ
    To be fair, swimmers look pretty daft with the nose clips, im pretty sure the wife wouldn't let me leave the house if i tried to wear one, i'd look pretty crazy
  • Snot rockets. Im so good with them now I can put one up a flys bum from 10 feet :wink: . When I started riding again it was Summer and it took the Winter to arrive before I realised how handy the felt bit of the thumbs on my gloves are :shock:
  • robmanic1
    LeonZ wrote:
    To be fair, swimmers look pretty daft with the nose clips, im pretty sure the wife wouldn't let me leave the house if i tried to wear one, i'd look pretty crazy

Yes, but think of the aerodynamics!

I might invent a "nose-net" like you get for indoor turbo training sessions to stop sweat from dropping on your top tube. You could simply attach an absorbent pad to a couple of bits of string which you would fasten to your ears. Dragons den anyone?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• LeonZ
    so i think my options seem to be 1) leave a snail trail of snot as markers in case i get lost, or 2) cover my face up. Both have there advantages but i suppose i shall have to try both
  • robmanic1
    How about a tampon up each nostril?

I should charge for these suggestions!

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Option 1 won't work if you get lost - they will just get mixed up with other cyclists snot. Not pleasant doing it to start with, but you soon get accustomed to it.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • LeonZ
    Yes, but sort of tampon, one for heavy periods or light. And then theres the one with the little skirty things at the bottom. Ita mine field!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Blowing your nose(snot rockets) is sort of a learned thing. You will get the hang of it
    if you practice.
    Hints-
    Always drop to the back of the group you're riding with before launching.
    Always turn your head away from the wind.
    Wipe up excess with the fleece portion on your gloves. If it becomes excessive on the glove wipe the glove on your jersey.
    These are the rules(well, some of them).

Dennis Noward
  • Fat Kid
    Fat Kid Posts: 28
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    LeonZ wrote:
    I might invent a "nose-net" like you get for indoor turbo training sessions to stop sweat from dropping on your top tube. You could simply attach an absorbent pad to a couple of bits of string which you would fasten to your ears. Dragons den anyone?

You'll nae get anywhere with that crazy idea. What are the sales in year 4? You don't know what you're doing. I'm out! :)
  • robmanic1
    Fat Kid wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    LeonZ wrote:

You'll nae get anywhere with that crazy idea. What are the sales in year 4? You don't know what you're doing. I'm out! :)

Ok how about selling the extra? For an additional fee you could purchase the about-to-be-patented "nose umbrella/ absorbent pad protector", to keep the rain off.

Started out as a perfectly good idea, but I reckon it's all getting a bit "Viz" now.

• LeonZ wrote:
    Hello

I'm new to road cycling but have done my reading of the odd forum and informed website, but there is still one problem i have not solved and that is winter snot nose! Its driving me mad, I get up on a sunday morning all enthusiastic about going for a ride, then 10minutes in and every 5minutes afterwards im having to blow my nose.

Does anyone have any idea of how to get round this problem other than use my gloves and breathe through my mouth, as it takes the fun out of the ride.

Cheers

LeonZ

You may suffer from a condition commonly called skiers nose, which is cold air triggering in effect an allergic reaction. This can be effectively treated with anti-colinergic medications available in oral or nasal spray form. Check it out with your GP.
  • I should have added that its worth trying an over the counter antihistimine first, Benadryl or Claritin for instance. They aren't as efffective at treating non allergenic rhinitis as the sprays but they sometimes work.. and they are cheap.
  • LeonZ
    I have to say i do prefer the idea of taking something than blowing my nose on the road every two minutes. My wife has a cabinet full of benadryl so i shall that a go at the weekend, cheers
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sudafed tablets (Pseudoephedrine) is what I use, available over the counter at the pharmacy. Works well and fast. About £2.50. (I think pseudoephedrine is no longer a WADA banned substance).
  • Blowing your nose(snot rockets) is sort of a learned thing. You will get the hang of it
    if you practice.
    Hints-
    Always drop to the back of the group you're riding with before launching.
    Wipe up excess with the fleece portion on your gloves. If it becomes excessive on the glove wipe the glove on your jersey.
    These are the rules(well, some of them).

that's the ONLY rule. Same as p1ssing whilst riding.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Cut the foot off an old sports sock and slip the remainder over your wrist like a sweat band to dab your nose. At the end of the ride either bin or wash.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Sudafed tablets (Pseudoephedrine) is what I use, available over the counter at the pharmacy. Works well and fast. About £2.50. (I think pseudoephedrine is no longer a WADA banned substance).

Good shout, haven't even tried Sudafed. I think I will give them a try this weekend. Cheers.