And the best Sportive in the UK is...

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Highclere because it's local, well organised, the weather turned out nice and it almost broke me.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'll let you know after this years :wink:

Twice this week i've attempted the Communicat and turn back home due to the weather :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CDonn
    CDonn Posts: 1
    For a proper challenge for the serious cyclist the Phoenix CC Divis Challenge has to be up there with the best of them.

The sportive was run for the first time last year starting just outside Belfast with a 100 mile route and a 70 mile route both taking cyclists into the hills of Antrim and finishing on top of the one-in-five climb up Divis Mountain.

After 100 miles over climbs at Tardree Forest, Shanes Hill and Glenoe, the climb to the top of Divis Mountain has to be one of the toughest finales to any sportive around. However, the spectacular views across Belfast and Counties Down and Antrim make it worth the effort. After that, a quick freewheel back to the HQ for a shower and a well earned feed!

check out the report and pics on last years event at this link
    http://www.cyclingulster.com/?thenewsid=2701&newstable=news

This years Divis Challenge is on 28th of June, for more details click below:
    http://www.phoenix-sportive.co.uk/
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I did the Highclere CommniCat today, whilst a nice sunny mostly flat ride I wasn't massively impressed with the section to the right of the A34, on the Highclere side the little back roads (my usual training ground) were delightful should be fun if it rains near on the day.

Those tricky is it a shadow or a pothole :shock: could catch a few out.

might just get my eyes tested :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rob Penn
    Rob Penn Posts: 4
    Tour of the Black Mountains - OK, it's outside my back door but the topography is perfectly suited to a tough cyclosportive, and the landscape is magnificent. Quality!

http://www.uketapetraining.co.uk
  • I agree StJohswell Highclere was hard. As prep for the Marmotte, if you ride it hard enough i.e. concentrate on making it uncomfortable it's good! I rode it a bit too easy last year but still started to crack with about 15km to go and was pedalling squares with 1.5km to go. This should have sounded alarm bells for the Marmotte.............
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rob Penn wrote:
    Tour of the Black Mountains - OK, it's outside my back door but the topography is perfectly suited to a tough cyclosportive, and the landscape is magnificent. Quality!

http://www.uketapetraining.co.uk

probably be my first paid for the full deal, see how i feel on the day i guess! my folks place is only a few miles away so i can just roll downhill, at least on way there...
  • lucca
    lucca Posts: 51
    My best last year was the Tour of Pembrokshire. It was a tough challenging route with great roads and views and the weather was great on the day as well.The whole day was well organised to. With living on the edge of the peak district it was a great change to the routes i usually ride. I am doing the Devil Ride this year for a week end away so with the comments above i am looking forward to that.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    I think the Bealach na Ba wins hands down for the route, nowhere else in the UK, not even the lakes, matches the scenic splendour of this one. The only downside is it takes place in the midgy season, not a problem if your moving, but don't even think about camping., and if you puncture near Torridon, abandon your bike and run .
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    DaveMoss wrote:
    I think the Bealach na Ba wins hands down for the route, nowhere else in the UK, not even the lakes, matches the scenic splendour of this one. The only downside is it takes place in the midgy season, not a problem if your moving, but don't even think about camping., and if you puncture near Torridon, abandon your bike and run .

:lol: about Torridon. Not been biking there but have been scrambling/hiking and camped near a Loch. Man alive - I have never seen so many of the critters.

They are not to be taken lightly. 'Oh - they're just little flies' I said before my first ever trip to the highlands. Just little flies they are not. They are b*stard annoying, even more so when trying to fix a puncture I am sure :lol:
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Another vote for Tour of the Black Mountains. Great mix of climbs most different with a mini alp all of its own at the 100 mile mark. Fast, safe descents and, touch wood, great weather.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • 15threes
    15threes Posts: 20
    The king of them all and no doubt in my mind......Fred Whitton
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Big hills , quiet roads, well organised, good weather :lol: and only fifteen quid , thats a vote for the Richmond Sportive.
    I loved the FW last year but at fourty quid it's to expensive for me this year , even if it is for charity.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Tour of Wessex 3 Day

1. Superb route(s). The 3rd day up Dunkary Beacon was pure evil. But superb training for the Marmotte......
    2. Superb organisation.consisting of.............
    3. Excellent signed route (it was my own falut I went wrong on day 2 !)
    4. Superb feed stations
    5. Good standard of riding
    6. The Pub food in Somerton was excellent ! (I didn't sample any of the ale tho !)
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    If multi-day events included then I think you'd be hard pushed to beat the Tour of Ireland.

Epic 5 day journey that takes you from Belfast to Dublin via mixture of rides, long and flattish, shorter and steeper and, as a finale, long and steep.

All through stunning scenery and a country that seems to love cyclists. If that's not enough you get a "garda of honour", effectively riding on closed roads, getting shepherded through traffic lights and junctions by the police.

Add to that great on road support and first class hotels.

What's more it suits every type of rider. Would be racers can try keeping up with the lead group where standard is set by a professional rider.

Experienced 1 day sportivers will have company in large middle group.

And (most inspiring for me having spent 1/2 day in their company) even the most unlikely people may surprise themselves and everyone else by making it round (with a little gentle encouragement from Mick and his broom wagon...).

Only downside is the weather, which can be "changeable". But you cant have everything and at least on last 2 tours the further you rode the more the sun shone
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    If multi-day events included then I think you'd be hard pushed to beat the Tour of Ireland.

Epic 5 day journey that takes you from Belfast to Dublin via mixture of rides, long and flattish, shorter and steeper and, as a finale, long and steep.

All through stunning scenery and a country that seems to love cyclists. If that's not enough you get a "garda of honour", effectively riding on closed roads, getting shepherded through traffic lights and junctions by the police.

What's more it suits every type of rider. Would be racers can try keeping up with the lead group where standard is set by a professional rider.

And (most inspiring for me having spent 1/2 day in their company) even the most unlikely people may surprise themselves and everyone else by making it round (with a little gentle encouragement from Mick and his broom wagon...).

Only downside is the weather, which can be "changeable". But you cant have everything and at least on last 2 tours the further you rode the more the sun shone

gets my vote as well, did it myself this year, brilliant event, thinking of training camp next year, could do no worse than this. Ride as fast or as slow as you want, but you will enjoy it, for me i was always going to ride slower the next day, .....never happened just wanted to keep pushing myself,....brilliant brilliant week
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    15threes wrote:
    The king of them all and no doubt in my mind......Fred Whitton

What he says!
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • bahzob wrote:

I've ridden last 2 TOIs. Its an experience not to be missed
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Dartmoor Classic :

Well marked course
    Well stocked food stop
    Great local marshalling
    Atmosphere
    Scenery
    Local Spectators
    Start village with massage, food and timing
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • i recently did the ken laidlaw scottish borders sportive, and, despite being rained on for 8 hours, it was a great experience. 108 miles of climbing/descending (3000m in all) and the oddest roadside sight; a golden buddha and cobra.

chuck in the best feeding station fare (home baked cakes, flapjacks, wine gums etc), very good on-road support and exceptional marshalling, a nosh at the end (as well as a medal and polo shirt) and free photos from the event, the £25 entry fee is more than value for money.
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • For me, rather than which is the best - it would be much more interesting to pick out interesting sportives in each county/region - we've all heard of the "famous" ones now - so I can't see how writing about them again makes them more noteworthy - I'd rather find out new ones in the counties around where I live, that are tough or have fantastic scenery or even are easy-ish so I can work up to some tougher ones. There are loads of them everywhere now and I'm sure some of them deserve a bit more visibility.

This sort of approach could make me read the article and keep the issue as a reference piece. Much more useful than just a list.

It might be worth agreeing some core attributes that they all get judged by and this could help build a range of ones worth featuring for their different combinations of attributes.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • If multi-day events included then I think you'd be hard pushed to beat the Tour of Ireland

How do you get to ride the Tour of Ireland?
    Can you just enter?
  • Here's their website which gets updated periodically.

http://www.tourofireland.eu/

Anyone can enter and it caters for all levels. I did it in 2008 when it was only 4 stages and I really enjoyed every minute of it. The organisation was excellent. Would love to do it again but it is a lot of holiday to use up without the family in tow.
  • I've done a few Sportives this year, all located in the South because that's where I live, and I've enjoyed them all but for different reasons.

Highclere - wasn't sure if I was fit enough so dropped down to the 77 mile route at the last minute. Very scenic and challenging route.

Big Wheel 15 - as a 50 mile charity ride it's not really a Sportive, but the organisation was excellent and for the entry fee we got a well-signposted and challenging ride, a goody bag and a free massage at the end.

New Forest Rattler - mechanical gremlins reared their ugly head and meant I did 70km on a single-speed. Had to walk up the 25% hill towards the end as a result but that's life. It was a great day and I had a real sense of achievement at the finish.

Southern Sportive - 155km criss-crossing the South Downs was a great challenge. A broken chain after 3km meant I didn't make gold standard but I rode hard all day and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Well marked route and good feed stations.

Southdowns Challenge - 130km criss-crossing the South Downs a little further west than the Southern Sportive with a bit of overlap at the eastern end of the route. Another beautiful day and this time the bike held together for a great ride with some other riders I had met at the New Forest Rattler.

So which was the best? Hard to tell, but there's more to it than distance and supposed 'toughness'; it's the company and the general atmosphere that makes a great event. Good cakes at the end also help!
  • Having finally got to do it this year, it just has to be 'The Autumn Epic', why?

Scenery... The Elan Valley on it's own
    The right combination of climbs, fast descents and flat fast sections
    Excellent organisation
    Just the right number of riders
    Quiet roads, 90% of which were in very good condition
    Overall..... a great day out :D

'Never knowingly underweight.....'
  • stu99
    stu99 Posts: 177
    (1) Bealach
    (2) Cycle Cairngorms
    (3) Puncheur
    (4) Etape Caledonia
  • John C.
    The Rydale Rumble is set to become a classic as the FWC is but value for money goes to The Richmond Sportive, 100 miles plenty of hills 3 drinks stops and all for 15 quid :lol:

So as a hard up cyclist it's

Richmond Sportive
    RR
    FWC

Money no object

FWC
    RR
    Richmond

• bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Ryedale Rumble.

The FWC is as good a course etc but the organisation, support, scenery, food stops, showers, car parking and entry cost of the RR just puts it ahead by a whisker.
  • John C.
    bigal. wrote:
    Ryedale Rumble.

The FWC is as good a course etc but the organisation, support, scenery, food stops, showers, car parking and entry cost of the RR just puts it ahead by a whisker.

And what about the dining room WOW ! :oDSCN0223.JPG

• JODRELL BANK CYCLOSPORTIVE
    14th March CHESHIRE
    Sponsored by TORELLI

Early season cyclosportive around the Cheshire lanes. Taking advantage of Cheshire's micro climates mild winter weather. The event features 3 distances 30 miles, 50 miles, and 80 miles catering for all levels. The picturesque route takes the riders past the famous Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope.

Event Features

Well stocked feeding stations supplying High 5 Products plus tea, coffee and cakes

FEEDING STATION - ADVERT ON YOUTUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQohv9jKpc

Electronic Timing by Sportident

Good Quality Roads

Picturesque Route

Photographer

Free Sports Drinks Bottle

Free Prize Draw

Route Card

Sag Waggon

Post Event Hot Meal

Changing Rooms

Adequate Parking

Well marked Route

Head Quarters Woodford Community Centre, Woodford Cheshire

Start 8.00am until 9.00am riders can start anytime within the hour

Registration opens at 7.00am until 8.45am

ENTER ON-LINE

Enter/Update Entry Online https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=274
    Entry List https://www.sientries.co.uk/list.php?event_id=274

CYCLOSPORTIVE EVENT WEBSITE

http://www.cyclosport.org/eventdetails. ... entid=2419

BIKE HIKE MAPS
    Check out the routes. Download to you computer or SATNAV
    www.bikehike.co.uk

JODRELL BANK 80 Mile Route
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28023

JODRELL BANK 50 Mile Route
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28207

JODRELL BANK 30 Mile Route
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28086