afan accommodation

robmccreedie
robmccreedie Posts: 81
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
going up there for a couple of days on Sat 31st Jan, anyone have any cheap places to stay they would recommend? good bed, hot shower near a pub would be good.

Comments

• mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    I have stayd in the castle Hotel in Neath...

Its a bit crazy, like a mini Ibiza full of locals getting drunk... i liked it

And the ride helps clear the hangover...

Perhaps not what you were looking for but it is an experience.....
  • hmm i'll check it out, its for a group from work of differing ages so might not be the best :lol:
  • http://www.brynteghouse.com/

I've stayed here it's OK. But if your really manly you can camp by the cafe as we did last year and get bitten to death by mitches...of course they shouldn't be around at this time of year...of course your feet might fall of with the cold by hey...nothing ventured nothing gained.

http://www.ty-afan.co.uk/

other friends have rented this house out, just make sure your cars are secured well!!

there is only pub around and they're friendly and serve good food..its situated in the old station
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    http://www.ty-afan.co.uk/

other friends have rented this house out, just make sure your cars are secured well!!

Have your mates had trouble there before? I stayed there and thought it seemed a nice quiet area
  • one of the groups car was taken for a joy ride...the locals were very apologetic
  • hi, stumbled accross your chat... we have been to afan for the last three years and had no trouble at all. we usually camp at the mountain bike centre but this year fancied a change and found log cabins at the bottom of the "wall" if you google... bryn bettws log cabins you will find all the details. they seem pretty reasonably priced and look comfortable enough. hope you enjoy it.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yeh the towns around the Afan area are uhm (local boy point) a bit rough at time,

Stay at the center camping in summer, and maybe use the cabins at the weekend.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yeh the towns around the Afan area are uhm (local boy point) a bit rough at time,

Stay at the center camping in summer, and maybe use the cabins at the weekend.
  • i know what you mean about the locals, but they seem to understand that a lot of people rely on us visiting for a living, i've always found the people so friendly, the first time we went was on a stag do... and had the greatest time, the refreshment rooms on a saturday night lock you in from 11, crawled out of there about 3 in the morning! problem was the taxi's stop running at midnight... that was a long, cold walk, but the best thing was it was full of fellow mber,s. and the rides are second to none, and a good way to clear your head in the morning! i can't wait till i go back. it does spoil you though... not found anything to match it yet... but i'm looking!