Richmond Park... first visit. Questions about riding there?

Tranced
Tranced Posts: 165
edited January 2009 in Routes
Probably going to visit family in London on the weekend. Thinking of taking HT along and going to see what Richmond Park is all about.
Anything special to know about going for a ride there? No go areas, walkers only areas etc.
Anywhere good for MTB in the park?
etc. etc.
Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Take a look in the roadie section.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12602251&highlight=richmond+park

Seems as if the generally riding etiquette is to ride furiously at pedestrians and anyone slower than a pro-racer :shock:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    Hmmm. Thanks for that.
    I'll be inviting him to join me at Swinley instead.

Cheers
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    [
    Anywhere good for MTB in the park?
    etc. etc.[/quote]

Not really. There is a v nice perimeter trail that is shared with pedestrians and their b****y dogs plus a perimeter road that is shared with cars (speed restricted). Bikes are not permitted off trail. Well worth the detour.

:P
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    gbs wrote:
    Bikes are not permitted off trail. Well worth the detour.

I was told that some time back and I've checked the Richmond Park website, which confirmed what I had been told.

Keep in mind that I was told this AFTER I had started riding there and I can't say that I've experienced any hostility from any other users. Granted, I'm not trying to thrash a DH rig around but I do nip off the paths an enjoy the wooded areas which offer a nice change of pace. Mostly I'm out of the way of ramblers, dog walkers etc, and I don't dig or skid up the surface.

Clearly I'm not the only one because I've seen a few tire tracks on one of my routes.