Some advice on Cols

waltho bum gravy
waltho bum gravy Posts: 153
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
I've been touring for about 5 years now, mainly in France and mainly for 4-5 days at a time for fun. It strikes me that I should try to broaden my horizons a little and try to take in some mountain passes whilst I am able to.

I'm planning a run from Bordeaux down to the Pyrenees this year which should allow me a good couple of days to get warmed up before tackling col d'Aspin or Tourmalet or possibly both. What I'd like to know is when the roads are opened in order that I can start planning.

Also is there anything I can do specifically to prepare for mountain roads? I live in London and don't really have a hill I can climb of any great note nearby. I could get a weekend or two away to tackle something as long as it's not a million miles away.

Also I'm hoping to take very little with me, the bare minimum, but will I need to take a nything in particular because I'll be in the mountains?

Finally if there's any other advice, be it gearing, training or even an alternative route I'd be pleased to hear your views.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi
    The roads probably will not open til late April or early MAy or possibly later.
    The Tourmalet is the highest col in the Pyrenees (on the french side).
    Pau would be a good base where you could cover various routes, the nearest being the mighty Aubisque.
    Check out 08 TDF tour route for ideas
    For what to take, at 2115 metres you need to be prepared and have winter jacket as the descent will freeze various parts!!!!!!
    I did it with standard double but struggled even with 27 cog.
    Nothing here will prepare you for 21K constant uphill with the steepest being the last K, so even going to lake district/wales is futile.
    Oh by the way it was fantastic

Peter