tire sizes

balchy88
balchy88 Posts: 108
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
been reading forums and people have wider tire at the front than the back e.g rear 2 and front 2.25, why is this? ive bought a panaracer cinder 2.25, and im planning on getting another at the weekend, would it be better 2 get a smaller size for the back or the same?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The theory is extra grip at the front. Rear wheel skids are a lot easier to cintrol than front wheel skids!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Also, the narrower the tyre, the lower its rolling resistance (drag). Low rolling resistance is a good thing.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • balchy88
    balchy88 Posts: 108
    so would you suggest a 2.25 at the front and a 2.1 at the rear? or would two 2.25s be fine?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Well either is OK, but you'll get slightly less rolling resitance in total with a narrower tyre out back.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I can't decide on tyre size either. Do larger width tyres fit easily onto standard rims
    Tall n skinny
  • Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    there ok on the rims as they are a standered size but it geting them to fit in your frame that might be the problem
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • I use 2.0's front and back. They're Specialized 127 tpi, amarid bead, uber light and quick rolling. In order to compensate for the lack of width I run like 32 PSI. works pretty good for me and provides plenty of grip. Such skinnies also allow me to pump them up to 75 PSI and keep up with the roadies on the streets.

Jim
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    I think its because theres more weight on the rear so more grip, fatter on the front because theres less weight so you need that little extra grip to compensate. Also i rarely run the same tire on the back as i do up front, i've got a bonty x on the back and a Spesh chunder up front. Works for me, my bike seems to have more grip this winter than in the summer!