help re changing forks

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited January 2009 in The workshop
Ifinally decided to change the forks on my commute bike as sick of waiting for work to sort out the C2W scheme

currently using a mountain bike with suspension forks that have turned into rigid as they are basically knackered

am after these off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009

or anything better for around the same price, just want disc brake mounts

was thinking is it worth changing the headset at the same time and also what else would i need, prob going to take it to LBS as although built up current bike dont fancy messing with forks

thanks in advance

picture of bike is in my sig

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I was looking for rigids there were others on ebay at the time. I ended up buying a pair of £90 forks for £30 :D . Just keep looking.

These look good, although they have the magura mounts they are on the back of the forks so give the forks a clean look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PACE-RC32-RIGID-T ... 240%3A1318
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andy83
    cheers for that

whats the main thing to look for then, just that its a 1 1/8th and 42.5cm in length??

preferably want carbon ones
  • andy83
    would i also need a starnut or would lbs sort that for me??

also pretty sure its aheadset but not sure how to check if its threaded or aheadset
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The main criteria for you will be

Carbon
    C2A length ie 425mm to replace like for like suspension geometry
    headset size

Edit

The forks you have are threadless/aheadset. A SFN can be bought online for a coiuple of quid but the main problem you're gonna have is the crown race which will be a job for LBS. They should have a price list for jobs available, just ask if not. If you supply new forks and they have to install the forks and SFN I think you'll be looking at a bill of no more than £30.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andy83
    cheers for the help

got a quote from lbs of around £15 to fit them which i thought was decent

thanks again