in search of robert millar

brakelever
brakelever Posts: 158
edited January 2009 in Pro race
have just finished the book on robert millar brillant book so well written , what are other peoples views on the book and the man

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Brilliant book. One of the best sports books I've read.

Always liked Millar. The fact that he was a complete outsider adds to his legend.

Just wish the Daily Heil would lay off him.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • the one thing that leapt out of the book was the man was a real one off ! he wanted to do it his way and he is to be admired for it . just cant get over what a brillant book it is ! ever now and again a gem is written . this is one
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    yep, i read it a couple of months ago on holiday. At first i thought my fellow glaswegian, Rab was a complete tosser but i warmed to him and his total dedication and love for cycling. He's a total one off!! I remember seeing his signed polka dot jersey in Bilslands in glasgow, when i was a wee boy. Arguably the greatest british cyclist ever!....even if he is wee bit strange. (got the t shirt? aye, you sure did :wink: )
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Got the book last week for my birthday, am really looking forward to it.
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    half way through it and im liking!
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Excellent book, the film 'The High Life' also gives a good insight into his personality.

By far the most accomplished British male grand tour rider.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • Sorry to sound ignorant but what is the Title and Author so I can go track it down?
    There's no time for hesitating.
    Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
    Primed to do it's educating.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    In search of Robert Millar - Richard Moore
  • Beauty thanks.
    There's no time for hesitating.
    Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
    Primed to do it's educating.
  • one of my best reads for 2008, not that i read much,...but it was one helluva good book.
  • Is the book Fact or Fiction?? I understand Robert had no input into the book,and the author never met him.Did the author ever meet any of Robert's close friends or family?So how do we know if anything is true??
    Ive always thought of Robert as a very private man,shy,and extremely modest so I for one will await "got the t shirt" if Robert ever decides to write his own story.

Another thing comments like

"At first i thought my fellow glaswegian, Rab was a complete tosser but i warmed to him and his total dedication and love for cycling." surely your judging moores view of Robert so how can you say you thought Robert was a complete tosser??

Robert Millar in my view was our greatest ever Tour rider and its 25 years this year since he won the polka dot jersey,time he got some recognition and respect that he has earned.
    Chapeau Robert
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    I think any 'Brit' thats interested in road racing will know of Mr Millars achievements.He was inducted into Scotlands 'Hall of Fame' for sportsmen a few years ago,overdue recognition I agree. But cycling is a 'minority sport' here, otherwise we would surely have a few more riders in the pro peleton?.I have yet to read the book but by all accounts [I can only go by journalist/colleagues/opponents views that have been aired] he was a driven man,had a 'job' to do and gave his all doing it.There are articles that state he 'ploughed a lone furrow' [outwith his own team presumeably] which may have cost him a Vuelta in 85 or 86 ?.He was a wee bit 'different',whatever that might mean,Then of course there were the rumours of a sex change which seemed to excercise a lot of peoples interest and ridicule at the time.I have no idea if he went through a sex change but if true would it change his achievements as a person or a pro cyclist ?.Not in my view anyway.
    I'm not sure if things like this book/these forums etc bother/interest him.Be nice to think he finds all the 'gossip' amusing.Who knows!!?.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Is the book Fact or Fiction?? I understand Robert had no input into the book,and the author never met him.Did the author ever meet any of Robert's close friends or family?So how do we know if anything is true??
    Ive always thought of Robert as a very private man,shy,and extremely modest so I for one will await "got the t shirt" if Robert ever decides to write his own story.

It's a biographical study. Moore's a decent journalist, and did a lot of legwork for the book. There are interviews with friends, teammates and acquaintances (there might even be family members as well -- I can't remember at the moment) and a lot of material that's culled from press reports, the High Life documentary and from other cycling journalists. I don't think Millar's lack of involvement means that the book has to be considered fiction! (After all, most biographies are not written in collaboration with their subjects.)
  • I really enjoyed it. I then found "The High Life" on you tube and smiled all the way through watching it, especially on the descent he makes on the wrong side of the road much to the disatisfaction of the oncoming French driver!!!!

Part of what makes him so appealing is the mystique, on the rare occasion Mr "Gotheteeshirt" appears it's to set the record straight, as he did with Richard Moore about some things in the book.

In Robert Millars 50th year he is missed for the right reasons, a hero and inspiration to generation.

To anyone who hasn't read it, I fully reccomend reading it! Just a shame hero's, villians and velodromes was poor. But is that just the subject matter?!
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    jswba wrote:
    Is the book Fact or Fiction?? I understand Robert had no input into the book,and the author never met him.Did the author ever meet any of Robert's close friends or family?So how do we know if anything is true??

It's a biographical study. Moore's a decent journalist, and did a lot of legwork for the book. There are interviews with friends, teammates and acquaintances (there might even be family members as well -- I can't remember at the moment) and a lot of material that's culled from press reports, the High Life documentary and from other cycling journalists. I don't think Millar's lack of involvement means that the book has to be considered fiction! (After all, most biographies are not written in collaboration with their subjects.)

From memory, Moore did also have the courtesy to email Millar with some questions and made him aware that he was writing the book, so he didn't do it totally without contact. There's plenty of biographers out there who don't even bother to do that.
  • pictit wrote:
    I think any 'Brit' thats interested in road racing will know of Mr Millars achievements.He was inducted into Scotlands 'Hall of Fame' for sportsmen a few years ago,overdue recognition I agree. But cycling is a 'minority sport' here, otherwise we would surely have a few more riders in the pro peloton?.I have yet to read the book but by all accounts [I can only go by journalist/colleagues/opponents views that have been aired] he was a driven man,had a 'job' to do and gave his all doing it.There are articles that state he 'ploughed a lone furrow' [outwith his own team presumeably] which may have cost him a Vuelta in 85 or 86 ?.He was a wee bit 'different',whatever that might mean,Then of course there were the rumours of a sex change which seemed to excercise a lot of peoples interest and ridicule at the time.I have no idea if he went through a sex change but if true would it change his achievements as a person or a pro cyclist ?.Not in my view anyway.
    I'm not sure if things like this book/these forums etc bother/interest him.Be nice to think he finds all the 'gossip' amusing.Who knows!!?.

i think the last few pages of the book provides some proof that rumors about Mr. Millar's sex chage are false.
  • Excellent book about an excellent rider. For me one of the very few british riders to have really stood out from the peloton
  • Cannot wait to get a copy and read... One of my fave ever riders.