Richmond Park 2

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Anyone wanting know why so many Londoners detest cyclists should take a trip to Richmond Park on a Sunday afternoon. Or go along the tow path along the Thames from Putney to Kew.

I am talking about the shared pedestrian-cyclist routes. In Richmond Park these are quite smooth, impacted gravel.

I went there on Sunday with my two teenage daughters on bikes. A hell of a lot of cyclists were weaving in and out of the pedestrians, with prams, children or dogs at a really fast pace. Quite a few were riding in a pretty intimidating way - to get the pedestrians off the route - and a good deal above the 10mph speed limit. Behaving just like some London car drivers, in short.

None of us was wearing a helmet because it seemed too sissy for such a route, but given the good chance of a collision we will revise that next time. Makes you wonder how long these shared pedestrian/cyclist routes can continue. On packed Sunday afternoons, they don't work. (Road bikes, of course, were all on the asphalt.)

Comments

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I would advise against using the 'shared use path' at the weekend unless you do it before about 10 a.m. IMHO it is too congested with pedestrians to make the ride worthwhile.

regards.jpgfrom.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • To be honest I avoid richmound park for pleasure rides unless very early or late far too busy other wise. And to the OP yes I agree.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I agree. I've never cycled in Richmond Park but I know many people do. I remember when I used to walk to work along the towpath in Islington how intimidating some cyclists were. The path was clearly marked as shared and the speed limit was something like 5mph, however many cyclist hurtled along at more like 15mph and if another cyclist came from the other direction they would literally run you off the path.

One time I remember a puddle took up most of the path which I had to step round, at the same time a cyclist was flying up from behind. He swore loudly at me, how dare I have the temerity to step into his path round the puddle, he seemed to think as a pedestrian I should have been walking through the puddle rather than causing him to brake.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    at the rather than causing him to brake.

Or perhaps you could of used your brakes and let the other lane of traffic clear before steping into it...
  • LittleB0b wrote:
    at the rather than causing him to brake.

Or perhaps you could of used your brakes and let the other lane of traffic clear before steping into it...

it was a path, not a road. if you do have to ride on such one should always give way within reason to walkers