Route in Edale

dostle
dostle Posts: 52
edited February 2009 in Routes
Saw some good pics on muddy-bikes.co.uk of a route in edale, peak district, think it may have been Jacobs ladder as the starting pic was that(duh) but not sure of the route, anyone done it ??

Comments

• Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    Loads around that area tha lader pass for mtb is hard ass going but good fun if you going down. get the os map out you can ride most places round there.
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • dostle
    cheers for that, am planning a trip now, searching the web.
  • Bobhellen
    i can recomend a littly camp site called upper booth farm http://www.upperboothcamping.co.uk/

right on the trails there
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    this may help

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/jacobs.htm

did it a year ago. found it quite hard to be honest. ended taking a lot longer than we thought and we ended up in the middle somewhere as it got dark.

lucikly we had gps units and was able to get back to the start.
  • dostle
    thanks guys, those pics look awesome !!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    dostle wrote:
    Saw some good pics on muddy-bikes.co.uk of a route in edale, peak district, think it may have been Jacobs ladder as the starting pic was that(duh) but not sure of the route, anyone done it ??
    We do the jacobs route quite regularly,its a toughie 18miles 3000ft+of ascent,we go down Jacobs ladder,some sadists go up it :lol:
    depending on fitness/technical ability it can take anything from 3-6 hours.
    On Rushup Edge/Roych Clough there are some big drop offs(even bigger now the motoX have been on them)its a classic ride 8)
    PM if you want the route doing on a proper map,be happy to do you one 8)
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    FANTASTIC place to go - including the campsite. One of my favorite places.

Just putting on my eco hat for a moment - Kinder Scout (the hill at the top of Jacob's Ladder) has been really badly eroded in recent years; you need to keep to the trails, especially up on top!

Enjoy!

:)

Ibbo - if you do the map, could you link to it so I can use it too! You might have some nice surprises in there!
  • Bobhellen
    i came off the bike going down kinder at 44 mph needless to say i did not do any thing for about 3 weeks hurn like hell :oops:
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    if you stay in upper booth ask if you can keep ur bike in there barn it dry and safter than outside :wink:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • sniper68
    neil² wrote:
    FANTASTIC place to go - including the campsite. One of my favorite places.

Just putting on my eco hat for a moment - Kinder Scout (the hill at the top of Jacob's Ladder) has been really badly eroded in recent years; you need to keep to the trails, especially up on top!

Enjoy!

:)

Ibbo - if you do the map, could you link to it so I can use it too! You might have some nice surprises in there!
    I'll do the map later today,as its on Memory map i'll print it onto A4 and PM you when its done as i'll need to post it to you 8) Or i can E-mail it in either j-peg or pdf so you can print it yourself 8)
    Also The actual summit plateau of Kinder is all footpaths,jacobs ladder is about 1/2 mile away from the summit and is the only legal trail for bikes on that side of Kinder :(
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    I am planning on doing this route on Sat - as a couple of the lads can do Llandegla & that is about all - is it a bad idea or a realy bad idea???????

Will get a OS map when we get there & look for short cuts if time starts ebbing away!
  • sniper68
    matthew h wrote:
    I am planning on doing this route on Sat - as a couple of the lads can do Llandegla & that is about all - is it a bad idea or a realy bad idea???????

Will get a OS map when we get there & look for short cuts if time starts ebbing away!
    You might struggle to get to Edale,still loads of snow around.All the hills are white out.Rushup Edge is sheet ice,Jacobs Ladder will be worse as its about 400ft higher.The route is a tough 18miles in good conditions.Takes about 4hours+ in good weather,allowing for the snow/fitness levels that could become 6/7hrs+We're supposed to be doing it next Thursday but will wait untill Wednesday to assess the conditions.We tried to do the route about a month ago just after the last snowfall and had to retreat.
  • tlw1
    Bugger................... :(
  • tlw1
    still going to go - even if its just a play. The wife is expecting to be left on valentines day, so why disappoint her!
  • sniper68
    matthew h wrote:
    still going to go - even if its just a play. The wife is expecting to be left on valentines day, so why disappoint her!
    :wink: 8)
    If you do manage to get to the descent off Rushup Edge and Roych Clough,be careful there are some BIG steps/drops which when icy will be "interesting" 8) Also the top 10 metres or so of Jacobs ladder is steep/rocky and generally holds ice for about 6 months of the year :lol::lol::lol:
  • tlw1
    Cheers & thanks for the map - turned up at both emails now!

Got a feeling this is the first of many trips to the Peaks so hopefully have a ride at some time!

Pic from News Years Eve near edale (hence so keen to ride it)...........

http://www.pbase.com/bentleyboys/image/108669096
  • sniper68
    matthew h wrote:
    Cheers & thanks for the map - turned up at both emails now!

Got a feeling this is the first of many trips to the Peaks so hopefully have a ride at some time!

Pic from News Years Eve near edale (hence so keen to ride it)...........

http://www.pbase.com/bentleyboys/image/108669096
    Thats just below the road gap between Mam Tor and Rushup edge 8) You'll be riding a very short section of that road :D Up the hill from the bus stop/layby then up the BW to the right just as you start to go down 8) About 100metres :lol:
  • tlw1
    Had a great time, lots of snow and subsequent sut cuts/road sections. But all loved it and can't wait to get back when the snow has gone!
  • sniper68
    We're doing it Thursday,hopefully it'll be a bit mpre ridable then.Did you actually get to do the ladder descent?
  • tlw1
    No but we could see it from the road............. :)

Hence plans ready for the next trip
  • sniper68
    matthew h wrote:
    No but we could see it from the road............. :)

Hence plans ready for the next trip
    Are you sure you don't mean Rushup Edge? :lol: Jacobs is about a mile or so from the road,tucked away between 2 hills 8) You can see the "dog leg" bottom bit(just) from the road gap,the top of Jacobs Ladder is tucked away from view in a clough 8) On a good day from Hollins cross you can just make out the start of the descent proper 8)
  • tlw1
    Did Rushup & Mam Tor and our guide constantly pointed out the good bits we couldn't do. So when I say "saw" I mean "follow that tree line.........."
  • sniper68
    Definitely whets the appetite for more though eh? 8)