[solved] Changed forks but headset is loose

girv73
girv73 Posts: 842
edited January 2009 in The workshop
I've just replaced the threadless sus forks on my commuter bike with some rigid ones. It all went pretty smoothly, but I've noticed that there is now some movement in the forks/headset.

Standing, with the front wheel locked, I can rock the bike back and forth a little. I had a threaded headset/fork on another bike that did the same thing when the headset worked loose, so I currently suspect there's something not tight enough in the fork/steerer/headset but I've no idea what to check or adjust. There's nothing obviously loose.

DSCF2430.JPG

All photos

Any ideas?
Today is a good day to ride

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Did you move over the crown race?

(the ring bit that is a press fit onto the crown of the fork (over the steerer obviously))
  • girv73
    Yep, moved the crown race alright.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    have you tried with the front wheel at 90 degrees to the frame (eliminates hub or brake wobble)

if it is still there, is everything the right way up and is the steerer too long? Often they look the right length but as you compress the headset the steerer hits the top cap.
  • girv73
    I haven't tried the 90degree thing, but I will.

I'm reasonably sure everything went back on the right way around, but again I'll check and also check the steerer isn't hitting the top cap.

Thanks. I'd no idea what sort of thing to look for but this has given me somewhere to start at least.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Did you put the star nut down into the forks? The pic show it just at the top of the steerer, I'm assuming that you did hit it down into the steerer. The order to tighten things up is

1) Put stem over forks
    2) Put topcap and bolt into SFN and tighten up
    3) Tighten stem clamp bolts to eliminate movement on steerer
    4) Check there is no play in headset by rocking front wheel which is best rurned through 90 degrees
    5) Repeat step 2 to eliminate play.
    6) Ride bike
    7) Swear when you hit the brakes for the firsttime and find more play in headset and you haven't got any tools with you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • girv73
    Yes the star nut went down further than the picture :lol:

Step 4 is the problem I'm having. I've tightened the star nut as much as I dare. Does it need to go down a bit further perhaps?
  • redvee
    You do have the stem 5mm higher than the steerer?. May need another spacer, much easier than chopping a few more mm off.
  • girv73
    Sorry redvee, I don't understand what you mean?!
  • redvee
    This is what I mean, the stem is above the steerer, as you tighten the SFN the top cap doesn't bottom out on the steerer.

th_72572_DSC00808_122_93lo.JPG
  • girv73
    A picture tells a thousand words :)

I'm not sure mine is like that. I'll try an extra spacer then, thanks.
  • girv73
    Fixed!

I (ahem) borrowed a spacer from my wife's Rockhopper and fitted it so the stem is above the end of the steerer like in redvee's picture above. The front end is now nice and tight with no play or wobble at all.

Cheers :D
  • redvee
    girv73 wrote:
    Fixed!

I (ahem) borrowed a spacer from my wife's Rockhopper and fitted it so the stem is above the end of the steerer like in redvee's picture above. The front end is now nice and tight with no play or wobble at all.

Cheers :D

.....and your wifes bike?????????
  • girv73
    redvee wrote:
    .....and your wifes bike?????????

Yep, what's wrong with that?

I should probably mention that it's been in storage since before we were married (8+ years), has two flats, no brakes and a D-lock around the back wheel we've lost the key to.

:roll:
  • redvee
    Fair enough but sods law dictates theat she will find the key and want to go riding at the weekend :lol:
  • girv73
    Quick update - I was swapping the borrowed spacer out last night (it was the wrong colour :lol:) and I think I realised what I was doing wrong all along :oops:

Two things:
    1. the steerer was slightly too long and I needed an extra spacer as above
    2. I was tightening the stem before the star nut, so the star nut wasn't getting a chance to clamp the whole headset assembly tightly in place.

D-OH!

*slaps head*

*facepalm*

:oops: :roll: