What Do You Do To A New Bike??

merlinghnd
merlinghnd Posts: 106
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hello Everyone,

I have just got a brand new Focus Cayo 105 2009, my first road bike. I am very pleased with it, just waiting for some better weather for a proper ride.

Apart from the obvious answer of get on it and ride, what do forum members do to a new bike when it is nice and clean to keep it in good condition?

Regards and happy cycling in 2009

Comments

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    The first thing to do is take it out , have a clipless moment , fall off , scratch the pedal that hits the ground , and tear the bar tape. Repeat until you get it right.
    Then again , you don't have to do what I did.

regards.jpgsnakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    personally I like to keep my bikes clean (as well as my cars and motorbikes - i'm a bit obsessed by it according to my wife!)

a coat of wax applied now while the bike is boxfresh will help you keep it clean in the future by the way - a nice car wax, preferably carnuaba type natural wax - make it look amazing too!

get into a good maintenance routine too - read up on here or a book (like the bike maintenance book from haynes (which is a bit basic)) about what oils and greases do what and keep on top of it.

make sure it fits - spend time getting your saddle layback set correctly so your knee's are directly over the spindles when your pedals are at the 3 o clock position. then study the stem for height and reach - change the stem if need be - this can be done quite cheaply to ensure your position is spot-on.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Not sure about car wax on carbon! Is that really OK? If it's alu or some other metal then perhaps OK but the I think the Cayo is carbon monocooque isn't it?

Anyway, in this weather it may be an idea to smear a light coating of engine grease (the vaseline like stuff you can buy from Halfords motoring section) on the componentry (brakes, not levers, front and rear mech) to protect the finish. Salt on the roads sprayed up all over the bike will eat away at any exposed metal and corrode the finish on alloy or aluminium. A think layer of grease can deflect some of that, although it's still a good idea to give it a good wash down after every ride.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I bought a roll of Fablon and coated any vulnerable areas in it, you can't even see it's been applied, but it's doing its job. I made sure underneath the downtube was coated in it and also the chainstays. I even put some on the cranks because my heels would scuff them otherwise.
    Well worth it considering the protection you'll get versus the cost of buying it and applying it.

Dave.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Not sure about car wax on carbon! Is that really OK? If it's alu or some other metal then perhaps OK but the I think the Cayo is carbon monocooque isn't it?

Anyway, in this weather it may be an idea to smear a light coating of engine grease (the vaseline like stuff you can buy from Halfords motoring section) on the componentry (brakes, not levers, front and rear mech) to protect the finish. Salt on the roads sprayed up all over the bike will eat away at any exposed metal and corrode the finish on alloy or aluminium. A think layer of grease can deflect some of that, although it's still a good idea to give it a good wash down after every ride.

of course it's ok - you use car wax on the plastic bumpers don't you? - your bike is just a more rigid version of that - it's not whole carbon fibre remember?

I use a non cutting wax - no cleaning properties - don't go using t-cut - a nice carnuaba wax will make the frame look amazing and restrict the ability for water and grime to stick to it. I use P21s on my s-works roubaix - it looks great!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gkerr4 wrote:

of course it's ok - you use car wax on the plastic bumpers don't you? - your bike is just a more rigid version of that - it's not whole carbon fibre remember?

I use a non cutting wax - no cleaning properties - don't go using t-cut - a nice carnuaba wax will make the frame look amazing and restrict the ability for water and grime to stick to it. I use P21s on my s-works roubaix - it looks great!

You're probably right, but I wouldn't compare a plastic car bumper with a carbon bike frame. Not the same material at all, and yes, as far as I know the Focus Cayo is a full carbon monocoque frame. Anyway, if you've tried it on a carbon frame without problems then it must be OK I suppose
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just wash it and use Mr Sheen on the frame. GT 85 the cables and lube the chain, and degrease, clean and relube when it needs it.

Dont let it stand around with road grime on or the salt will corrode the nice finish on your alloy kit.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just wash it and use Mr Sheen on the frame. GT 85 the cables and lube the chain, and degrease, clean and relube when it needs it.

Dont let it stand around with road grime on or the salt will corrode the nice finish on your alloy kit.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    gkerr4 wrote:

You're probably right, but I wouldn't compare a plastic car bumper with a carbon bike frame. Not the same material at all, and yes, as far as I know the Focus Cayo is a full carbon monocoque frame. Anyway, if you've tried it on a carbon frame without problems then it must be OK I suppose

Your not polishing carbon you are polishing the paint or lacquer on top of the carbon! If you should end up polishing bare carbon fibre trust me when I say you are polishing to hard or to much lol
  • Im tempted 2 buy the cayo, ive only had my trek 1.7 for 7 and a half months but love the cayo, tell me how it rides, cheers
    Jamie
  • It rides fast and firm. Nice and stiff. Not very comfy but not the harshest ride in the world. If you can handle a firm ride then well worth it.(Although I would get the 08 version if they still have your size. Much better value)
    6288 Posts: 131
    first thing i do is change as much as i can from the standard spec ... bar tape, tyres, saddle if nec ... just the little things that make the bike 'yours' ... saying that ... i've only owned one off the peg road bike as i built up the rest but my gf has had a few over the years and is always much happier once i have 'co-ordinated' things a bit better ...
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    It rides fast and firm. Nice and stiff.. If you can handle a firm ride then well worth it

:shock:
  • Hello Everyone,

Thanks to those who replied, my bike is oil, lubed, waxed etc etc.

Rode it yesterday properly and it was excellent. This is my first road bike, I previously had a Specialized Sirrius hybrid with zertz inserts etc etc and found the Cayo a much more forgiving ride. In fact the fastest I have ever been on a bike, must fit a computer to get some numbers. The bike also seemed well put together etc from Wiggle. THis is a C2W via Halfords bike. Agree the 2008 seems a better spec but not available in my size.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    if you've tried it on a carbon frame without problems then it must be OK I suppose
    It's absolutely fine.
  • What Do You Do To A New Bike??

Usually masturbate frenziedly over it.
  • dodgy
    What Do You Do To A New Bike??

Usually masturbate frenziedly over it.

+1
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Note to self "NEVER buy a bike off singlespeedexplosif or dodgy".
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dodgy
    :lol:
  • Hey, at least you'd know it'd been well loved.