Pedals and my back brake...

FifeGuerilla
FifeGuerilla Posts: 3
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone.

I'm so new to cycling and often embarrassed at how little I understand about it, eg pedals/shoes.

I want some clipless pedals and shoes but can't fathom what is compatible with what, or who, and why. I think I want Shimano R540 SPD-SL Road Pedals, but will they fit any old SPD shoe, or do they have to be SPD SL shoes? And do the shoes have to be Shimano? Please help, or even better, just tell me what to do.

Also, my back brake won't return to open after I've pulled it. I've taken the caliper (Shimano Tiagra) apart, cleaned it and replaced it but it still sticks closed, leaving the cable loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

I've got a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra by the way, anyone else got one? I love it, a lot.

MarT.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sounds like the caliiper pivot bolt is set too tight. Looking at the exploded diag below the collar in front of part 11 needs backing off slightly. Take the calliper off the bike and turn the collar anticlockwise 1/4 turn. You might ahve to take the other side of the calliper off but this is only one bolt.

th_10165_Image1_122_462lo.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hey, thanks very much both of you!

That exploded diagram of the caliper is amazing... I can't believe how much goes into a seemingly simple part.