MPH

OOtzen-Booty
OOtzen-Booty Posts: 116
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
As a newbie would like to know what sort of average speed members do?
Just so I can aim to achieve a decent goal.
They say curiosity killed the cat..lol

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Average speed isn't really a good comparison between different people, but a hilly club run normally averages around 16/17mph.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    I'm a newbie as well, and I average about 17mph on flats for my 10 mile loop I do.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    depends how hard, how far?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    Well I've been cycling for quite a while and had a road bike since the end of August.

I went on a flat solo ride on Thursday and averaged 18.2mph over the 45 miles. Typically I would average about 18 solo on the flat. I can sprint faster for shorter distances but 18mph is quite sustainable over long distance provided the terrain is not too hilly. Living near the Cotswolds however the majority of my rides involved quite a bit of climbing and on these routes average from about 15-17mph. My overall average for the 2000 miles I've ridden on my road bike so far has been 15.6mph
  • Newbie here too, been cycling for a couple of months now.

No idea how accurate it is but my trip computer tells me I generally average anywhere between 15-17 mph on most runs.

My commute is @32 miles and I usually average 16mph on that.

I have no idea if this is "good" or not, one of my aims for the coming season is to increase my performance and "up" my average speeds across the board. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    A hilly 51 mile circuit into 80% headwind/crosswind,20% tailwind today averaged 13.4mph. :shock:
    Usually 17.5mph. :)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Don't let all these fast average speeds put you off - I only manage to average between 10 and 12 mph most of the time. You will probably beat that straight away.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Im a newbie as well and at present ive only been out a few times since I bought it, but so far im ave 12mph on a flat route with a nasty hill near the end of a 7m loop.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    like dragon says, comparing average speed is completely meaningless without also comparing the route or terrain profile you are riding. No to mention everybody's individual health and fitness.

Your goal should not be to 'achieve' a certain average speed - it should be to improve the one you already have.
  • softlad wrote:
    like dragon says, comparing average speed is completely meaningless without also comparing the route or terrain profile you are riding. No to mention everybody's individual health and fitness.

Your goal should not be to 'achieve' a certain average speed - it should be to improve the one you already have.

+1

Work against yourself...it is far more rewarding when you make progress.....especially if it has been hard work! :) good luck
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!