Charge Spoon Saddle

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

Looking at giving one of these a go. Any thoughts on them? I know everyone is different regarding saddles etc, but just interested to find how people who hve bought one found them?

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I've got one and would seriously consider putting them on all my bikes - quite interested in trying out the new charge knife though, that seems a little more 'racy'. The spoon I find to be comfortable on the commute and has given me no cause for complaint on longer weekend rides
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Have this saddle fitted to all my bikes after years of experimenting, at least they are reasonably cheap if not.
    Spent up to eight hours at a time cycling the raid pyrenean last year without too much discomfort.
    Seem highly regarded but as with any saddle give it chance. :cry:
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Have charge spoon on mtb and roadie. I found the saddle very comfortable after 5 hours this morning even though I've not ridden for 6 weeks. Superb in my experience but then like you say everyone is different.
    Still breathing.....
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i couldn't do long rides on mine - it is ideal for hour-ish rides about town on my fixed-gear - but I wouldn't want to do much more than 2 hours on it.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I use a Spoon on both my MTBs but on the road bike use a Spesh BG saddle, as gkerr4 said I don't find the Spoon that comfy on really long rides.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Anyone got any thoughts regarding decent light seats which do not damage the....errrm, perineum and lead to erectile disfunction as can supposedly happen with many racing seats on the market?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Like most people I don't get the chance to try lots of different saddles, but I bought the Charge as it was only £20 and so logically if it was no good I hadn't wasted too much money.

Fortunately, it was nice and comfy, and so I bought a second one for my commute bike.
  • I recently bought the "Ladle", the spoon's girlie version - so far I'm really happy with it and at £20 quid it's a lot cheaper than a lot of other saddles!!!
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Anyone got any thoughts regarding decent light seats which do not damage the....errrm, perineum and lead to erectile disfunction as can supposedly happen with many racing seats on the market?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23428

As a bit of a heavyweight, the less pressure on my bits the better so having seen Mark Beaumont get around the world on the expensive version of the above, I got one and it is much better for longer rides. This one is cheap and cheerful but if you are a bike tart and want a pricey one then the Selle SMP range wil have one for you....
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Specialized toupe. I'm a huge fan of these saddles, but as has already been said, everyone's different...

As someone who had occasional problems with pressure when I first started serious road cycling and now doesn't have any at all, I'm convinced that getting the correct set up is as important as saddle choice - i.e. saddle height, fore-aft position and drop to the bars. If the saddle is too high and/or too far back you can have problems. Lowering the bars a little can also significantly reduce pressure by redistributing weight to the front (which is perhaps counter intuitive, just like the idea that lots of saddle padding is good - it isn't!), but very low bars can create more pressure.
  • Rido R2
    http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/sensat ... 00064.html
    Not tried it, but been reading up on it and not too expensive.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    heftyrider wrote:
    Rido R2

At thirty quid it's got to be worth a punt, and it would be a punt, cos like every saddle out there, you don't know if it suits you and your arse. Looks good though.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I get on well with mine, they've got the Knife out know, same shape but slightly less padding and lighter.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    unclemalc wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23428

As a bit of a heavyweight, the less pressure on my bits the better so having seen Mark Beaumont get around the world on the expensive version of the above, I got one and it is much better for longer rides. This one is cheap and cheerful but if you are a bike tart and want a pricey one then the Selle SMP range wil have one for you....

Yes, I have the lowest cost Selle TRK saddle on my road bike. It is the only saddle I have found that allows me to ride for 100 miles and get to the end without my bum being my sorest/tirest part. Prior to finding this saddle I sometimes striggled to sit down beyond 70 miles, not a nice experience.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've got the Ti version and really like it. It got a big tear in the cover when I'd not had it long which was a bit disappointing, but hard to say if a different one would have fared better. I'll probably replace it with a Knife.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    heftyrider wrote:
    Rido R2

i simply wouldn't put that on my bike - it's hideous
  • I'm lucky enough that being stunningly good looking, I'll carry it off! :P
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tee hee - just stay sitting down at all times !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have the spoon on my fixie - really great saddle - comfy for hours on end and all for twenty quid !
  • Anyone got any thoughts regarding decent light seats which do not damage the....errrm, perineum and lead to erectile disfunction as can supposedly happen with many racing seats on the market?

My rather expensive Fizik was giving me jip so I splashed £20 on a Specialized BG2 and haven't looked back (if you know what I mean?).
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

Not a light seat, but the Bioflex Tempo Mens is a comfy mid-width seat (150mm) approx:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bioflex-Tempo-Men ... 240%3A1318
  • i had a charge spoon in grey with the white rails, looked the dogs but i found it to be very uncomfy for long rides
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Got a Charge Spoon on my MTB, had no problems with it at all, even on all day epics. Definitely a fit and forget item, which is the sign of a good saddle IMO. If you don't think about the saddle, it must be comfortable!

Was thinking about a Knife for the road bike, to replace the Boardman own brand saddle, which isn't too bad, but not great. (More comfy than it looks, at least!)
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08