riding back to back sportives (a week apart)

r3 guy
r3 guy Posts: 229
I am a novice when it comes to road bikes (ex/current mtber) so having just thrown down the cash for my first road bike i have decided to enter some sportives, there are two i really want to do but they are back to back weekends, the le terrier 90 odd miles and then the dragon 112 miles.

Do people do back to back sportives?

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Why not if you are fit enough. Just do a few recovery type rides in between. I find that I dont do back to back that often because of family and work comittments but nothing to do with fitness.
    Brian B.
  • r3 guy wrote:
    I am a novice when it comes to road bikes (ex/current mtber) so having just thrown down the cash for my first road bike i have decided to enter some sportives, there are two i really want to do but they are back to back weekends, the le terrier 90 odd miles and then the dragon 112 miles.

you could always try the Cyclone www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk on saturday 13th June and then the Dragon on the 14th if you want a real challenge :D
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Can't see it being a problem if you are well prepared. I rode a hundred one Sunday and the Dartmoor Classic 100 the following, no problem, in fact I think it prepares you very well. Just don't do any long draining rides in the week between the 2 rides.

I'm doing the Dragon followed by the Dartmoor Classic this year but there is 2 weeks between the 2.
  • r3 guy wrote:

you could always try the Cyclone www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk on saturday 13th June and then the Dragon on the 14th if you want a real challenge :D
    the rides are back to back literally - two days in a row. This makes the challenge a little harder :shock:
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Back to back weekend sportives works great. I usually try to ride 3 in May & 3 in June.
    Rich
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Am I the only person to have read the thread title and assumed the OP was contemplating riding 2 sportives back to back (i.e. - on the same day) and thought 'BRAVO'!
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    You'll probably be faster on the 2nd weekend if you rest well in the week between.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's fine. You will find most racing cyclists try to race at least once a week and many will do "back to back" races every week from March to September. The trick is to listen to your body and above all, to ride. You might think you'd need to rest after a long ride and this is the case but you can rest for 22 hours afterwards and then do a 2 hour spin. If your long ride is on the Sunday, go for a very gentle two hour ride on the Monday and repeat on Tuesday. Then try a more painful session on Wednesday or Thursday, something short and sharp. If you feel fine, then you're all clear to ride the following weekend.