TGV's and bikes/luggage

yer gran
yer gran Posts: 186
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Planning on visiting Ventoux to coincide with the Tour. Train to Avignon and ride from there. I'll be travelling with the bike and bike bag, 2 small panniers on the back, tent and mat strapped on top and a bar bag.
As far as I can make out you are limited to 2 bags on eurostar/tgv's. I'm guessing the bike in a bag constitutes one of these.
How strict are the rules concerning the remaining luggage?
It could all be consolidated in my courier bag. Would this be necessary to conform with the rules?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I wouldn't worry about it - I've never seen anybody checking on the numbers of bags. That line is far to busy for station staff to start fussing about numbers of bags. That said, luggage space in the trains is fairly limited so be discreet.

A couple of points, which may or may not be helpful:

- (depending on where you live - because it may involve getting an early train from St Pancras) it's worth changing at Lille Europe. There are a couple of direct trains a day from there;

- the racks aren't big: I've managed with a Ground Effect Tardis but if you have a bigger bag it could be difficult;

- there's more luggage space on the upper deck of the TGV (or put it the other way, the space on the lower deck always fills up first);

- Avignon TGV is a fair way from Avignon.