Sore Booty

OOtzen-Booty
OOtzen-Booty Posts: 116
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi just started clocking up about 30 miles a week as a newbie,and to be honest my bum is sore. Are there any tricks of the trade so to speak to help or a cheap solution? As money is tight

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I assume you're already wearing padded shorts and no other underwear, so my tip is to try running your tyres with a little less air in them. In the winter I run 25mm tyres but only at 90 psi. I don't find I puncture anymore than I would with higher pressures and the increase to overall comfort of the ride is remarkable! Try this for a while and you can always increase your tyre pressures when your bum gets worn in a bit - which it will. You just have to stick with it; it won't take long! I won't get into which saddle to use as this is a totally subjective choice. Everyone is different and no one saddle suits everyone, but for what its worth I use a Fizik arione and love it. Good luck with your riding!
  • the best tip i can give you is to mak sure your saddle is perfectly flat, it may not look like it but saddles are supposed to be run flat, check with a spirit level or by eye, it might not look right but it should help, i run all my saddles flat.

in fact the other day i swapped saddles on one of my bikes and didn't make sure it was flat i got hideuos saddle sore just from it not being perfectly flat, now it's flat it's great i can ride 40 miles with no chaffing/sore with normal lycra tights (not padded)

the next best thing you can do is get some padded shorts but still make sure your saddle is adjusted correctly before spending.

hope this helps

Henry
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    -Decent shorts
    -Chamois cream/sudocreme/etc
    -Saddle
    -Angle of Saddle
    -Setback of Saddle
    -Saddle height
    -Overall position on the bike
    -Poor road surface?
    -Tyre pressure? Tyres too narrow?

All of the above need to be considered to determine what the actual cause is.

I see that you've just started cycling a decent distance, you just need to give your bum time to get used to it, and there may actually be no problem with anything.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    the best tip i can give you is to mak sure your saddle is perfectly flat, it may not look like it but saddles are supposed to be run flat, check with a spirit level or by eye, it might not look right but it should help, i run all my saddles flat.

Saddles don't have to be flat, please don't spread any myths.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ok well iv'e been told they should be and whenever i havent they give me auful saddle sore, just going on what ive been told by numerous people i do understand people like to run them other ways though,

maybe i should have said: try running your saddle flat i find it helps

just adjust the saddle to whenever you can ride a decent length ie 20 miles without any soreness, i would start from the most logical position, flat.
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone as it happened I was in my local Supermarket yesterday afternoon and found a gel seat cover for a few quid,I was out this morning clocking up miles and it worked my Rear end is no way near as sore.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    Saddles don't have to be flat, please don't spread any myths.
    I have no idea how I could set my saddle flat, because it's curved... :wink: