cycling with a weighted rucksack

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited January 2009 in Health, fitness & training
im using a cycling spec 40l rucksack, mainly for commuting to work, as its a short commute, 40 mins, so i figure if i chuck (secured) an extra 5 kilos of weight, with the intention of increasing gradually, in the bag, itll have more of an effect phyiscally. then when i get out using the bike properly without the weight ill be able to reap the benefits

can anyone see any reason not to do this?
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It'll damage your back.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    This is actually something that I've been wondering about.

So, I bought some cheap, plastic coated weights (2x5lb = 4.5Kg) in Asda. And chucked them in the Camelback.

Now, my ride to/from work is *very* short. Although, there's a nice little hill (with work at top) on way there. But, it's only a 10min ride there, and about 6mins home. The weights were very noticeable. Slowed me down a lot. Make the whole bike slower. Tyres felt like treacle. As my ride is so short, no noticeable impact on my back/etc.

So, today I thought I'd leave them in for my 15mile ride around town (road/towpath/cyclepath) on the HT.
    Well, that was hell!
    I'm always pretty slow for the first 4-5miles, as that's how long I need to warm up. Was wondering if the weights were a wise move. But, continued, all the same.
    By the time I got home, I was in no mood to do another mile.

Yes, it was a good workout. Yes, I'll probably do it again. But, I'll probably drop one of the weights.

So, if you are going to persist with this, here's my advice:-

1. Don't bother with weights. Carry water in bottles instead. Why? Because, if you can't take it any more, you can ditch a bottle, or empty it.
    2. What kind of bag do you have? One that sits on the shoulders, high up on the back? Or, one that sits low, and across your hips/etc? The higher up the back it is, the harder on your shoulders it will be.
    3. How big is the bladder in your bag, and how much would you use on a commute? If, it's a 3L, and you would use 1L, then just carry the full 3L. The Internet+Google tells me that 1L = 1Kg = 2.2lb's. Therefore, the additional 2L would be 2Kg = 4.4lb's over what you *need*.
    4. See if you can carry additional useful kit, rather than a useless dead weight. Another tube. Spare chain. Food. Drink. You can use that stuff, if needed. You can't use a weight!
    5. Definately start off low. Work your way up over several weeks. Go for the 'big bang' approach, and you may damage your back.
    6. I'd say that an extra 5Kg is initially too much for a ride over 4-5miles. The pain on the shoulders just gets in the way. And, you don't want to arrive at work with sore/stiff shoulders.
    7. If you just want to make the journey a little more intense, then think about varying something on the bike to give you that. I have 2.0 low-rolling resistance tyres on the HT, and 2.5 sticky DH tyres on the SX Trail. I know that if I do the same loop on the SX, that I get a much tougher/harder ride. Either that, or muck about with the gears and your cadence.

edit:
    8. And there's the obvious issue of how additional weight affects the bike. So, take it into account for tyre pressures, suspension setup. And even on your braking/handling.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Definitely keep rucksack weight to a minimum - it's a bad thing for your back.

I used to run with one (RM training) and it didn't do me all that much good.

Just ride faster, stick draggier tyres on or ride further.
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Put the weight on the bike with a QR rack or somesuch - or get a heavier commuter hack bike and then riding the weekend bike feels like a holiday :D
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    If you are doing to build up strength and stamina In the legs what really worked for me was riding a fixie to commute on (have been at It about a year now) especially If you try and lay off the brakes to slow and stop as much as possible (with out being dangerous)

The first couple of weeks I was riding It my legs were In shreds, and that was a commute of about 4-5 miles a day. I am now a lot more use It but what a difference not just In pedaling performance but I can see the difference In the shape of the muscles In my legs.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • mcbazza
    All of that advice is good.
    I can still feel my shoulders ache from yesterdays little 'test'. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    If you want to make it harder work, then why not lower the pressure in your tyres a bit. This will slow you down.

You could always use a bigger ring at the front!? Make the granny ring redundent. I rarely use the granny ring, even up steep climbs!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    If you want to make it harder work, then why not lower the pressure in your tyres a bit. This will slow you down.

You could always use a bigger ring at the front!? Make the granny ring redundent. I rarely use the granny ring, even up steep climbs!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • get online or a in a sports shop and you'll find weights that you can strap around your ankles and wrists, no pressure on the back but plenty on the legs!
    problem solved!!!
  • put the weight on the bike rather than your body. A water bottle filled with sand will do the trick nicely without putting any undue stress on shoulders/back/ankles etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If this kind of training worked - then you'd see it talked about elsewhere. It isnt - so I dont think it does work.

Be careful how you add weight to the bike - you dont want it to mess up the handling of the bike.

If it were me - I'd just try and ride a wee bit faster.
  • If this kind of training worked - then you'd see it talked about elsewhere. It isnt - so I dont think it does work.

Google is a wonderful thing...
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    Training with extra weights on makes you stronger but slower, personally I train as close as possible to a race situation but for only 70% of the distance. I feel there is no point training over your race distances as you can often rest in the bunch/break because you get sheltered.
  • cougie
    "cycling with a weighted rucksack" 2 hits on google.

"cycling blindfolded" 199 hits on google.
  • mcbazza
    cougie wrote:
    "cycling with a weighted rucksack" 2 hits on google.

"cycling blindfolded" 199 hits on google.
    The 2 hits are basically this thread. And a hit from the main page that details posts on the forum.

Any internet search for a specific phrase wrapped in quotes in going to produce fewer hits than you might expect. As you are searching for that explicit combination of words.

It's often better to not use quotes, and instead to prefix the required keywords with '+'.
    eg. +bike +training +weights +backpack
    5,450 hits (ok, not all are so relevant)

One of which is this. Which states:-
    Heavier Weights

How can you make yourself heavier? Most people are trying to make themselves LIGHTER when they exercise! However, if you are able to find a safe way to increase the total amount of weight that your body is moving during cardiovascular training, don’t you think that the activity would be more difficult, and force your body to adapt? Sure it would!

A common method that people use to do this is one that you should NOT do, and that is strap on wrist weights or ankle weights, or to carry dumbbells while you are doing cardio. Although this does increase the total amount of weight being moved by your body, it also puts a stress on your joints that is not natural, and therefore, not a good idea. However, alternatives that DO work include putting on an adjustable weighted vest, or even just strapping on a backpack with some weights or books in it! The idea is to keep the additional weight as close to your body as possible, away from easily damaged joints.
  • cougie
    When I see the pros riding round on bikes with panniers full of bricks, or the British Cycling Squad riding full lead bikes - then I may concede there is something in it....

I ride my heavier bike in winter - just cos its cheaper and easier to maintain than my race bike. I only notice the difference briefly when I'm back on the race bike - after that - you dont feel any difference.

As a runner I sometimes have to run with a backpack - I keep it to a minimum weight though - just because I dont need any extra impact on my joints. I dont think it helps with my training other than I get some miles in running home from work. I dont think weights are the way to go.
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    C'mon guys, use you're heads a little here :wink:. With the exception of cougie's replies this thread is almost completely full of $h1t .

When you are riding with a bunch of others then you will have to work harder to keep up if you are carrying extra weight (fair enough in this instance). Also if you are riding a set route then it will take more effort to ride that route at the same speed, or take longer with the same effort level.
    An obvious downside is that you will be harder to stop too and it will also put more stress on you're bike.

Climbing will ONLY be harder with more weight if YOU make it harder.

Bottom line if you are working as hard as you can then adding weight will NOT make you work harder. If pros got stronger by adding weights then they would be doing it - but weights won't make you stronger on a bike. You can get just as fit riding an 18lb bike as you can riding a 80lb bike, anyone that thinks otherwise is quite frankly deluded. :lol:
  • Bottom line if you are working as hard as you can then adding weight will NOT make you work harder.
    I don't think anyone would argue with that particular comment. But that's not really the point now, is it.
  • You could try one of these tied to your bike. Adding the extra resistance to your bike will make you pedal harder.

http://www.therunnersguide.com/parachutes/#
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    if you ride with a group and are faster than the rest but for social reasons you would like to stay with them then I guess it might be a decent way to slow yourself down so you still get a good workout
  • cougie
    If thats the case - then just ride on the front. That way you're probably working 20% harder than them - at least. And they'll be glad of the wheel !