Knee pain

esoxproblem
esoxproblem Posts: 4
edited January 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

I started a spin class to get into shape to start biking this coming summer again.
I have started to develop knee pain in my right knee on the outside of the knee.
I also have this sense that I could slightly hyper flex my knee backwards if was not carefull. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• see a doctor?
  • add to the above description a little clicking in the knee as well...
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    You could be hypermobile, see the doctor though, sound similar to what I have with my knees, if I want I can dislocate them.
  • l00cas
    l00cas Posts: 75
    Dunno if you've done it before/ if you're a pro at spinning so no offence meant here... But lots of instructors at my gym do say to people that Spinning or fixed wheel cycling can damage ligaments and other parts of your knee if your using incorrect technique. It could be something tiny like your shoes have a raised heel which is pushing your knee further forward through your cycling stroke or your seat may be too low or too high. I have to say I think if you were hyper-mobile you would have realised already especially in cycling, but some people realise theyre hypermobile just from walking up the stairs in a weird way or tripping because the knee over flexes. So id say go see your doctor is a definate just to be sure but if he can't work out whats wrong perhaps ask your spinning instructor/class leader to watch over you for a session to see if there are any "grey areas" or so to speak in how your doing it. But otherwise I'd just rest it.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Hi,

I started a spin class to get into shape to start biking this coming summer again.
    I have started to develop knee pain in my right knee on the outside of the knee.
    I also have this sense that I could slightly hyper flex my knee backwards if was not carefull. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks,
    Chris

I had pains in my kness when I first started cycling but after a while they stopped as I developed more muscles around the knee area.

I also started taking cod liver oil capsules which really helped also.

As for the hyper flexing I have not experienced this and so cannot help. I would suggest seeing a doctor as the other posts.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Where abouts is it clicking? The knee end of you vastus medialis??

Does it sound anything like this??

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12556815
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • Thanks for the thread. It is interesting, but I think it is different.
    My pain seems to be on the collateral ligament. Very much centered on the joint. (I looked at some drawings).

Regards,
    Chris
  • I had similar problem changed shoes pedals cleats etc etc then a coach told me to lower the seat 15mm and pain went and hasn't come back.
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    This article might be of some use then possibly!?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/ar ... rt-2-17445
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • dwpeek
    dwpeek Posts: 3
    This happened to me when I turned 30. I was running 3mi a day and it seemed like my knee started hurting on that day. It sounds like your IT band. Here is some stretching you can try.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7xSCJWa3I[/url]