Tiagra upgrade help

t0ny
t0ny Posts: 59
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I am newish to cycling, well road cycling and would like some help with my current ride. I have a 07 Specialized Allez sport double, which is mostly standard.

I would like to gradually upgrade to 105/ultegra and wondered if it would be possible as 105 up is 10 speed and my Tiagra set-up is 9 speed?

I would like to start with the rear cog on the wheel if possible as I am upgrading my wheels in the next week or so to some Easton EA 50SLs then the rear deurailer perhaps?

Can anyone offer some advice or links?

Thanks for any help
Planet X Pro Carbon SL
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    9 and 10 speed set ups don't directly mix. The indexing on Tiagra shifters is for a nine speed cassette, i.e. they move the rear mech in the correct increments for the 9 speed cassette, and consequently the 105/chain shifters move the rear mech in increments for a ten speed cassette. It will be possible to change mechs (in theory) without affecting shifting, as they are governed by the shifters. It is also possible to change from tiagra cranks and chain to 105/ultegra cranks and chain (again in theory), even though they are slightly thinner. What I would recommend is to upgrade your mechs, then cranks/chain, then shifters and cassette.
  • t0ny
    By mechs, does that mean deurailers?

Sorry, but all this is way over my head!
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • tonyw43
    Sorry yes, mechs are deuraliers, it's just that mech is easier to spell.
  • t0ny
    Ahh great, thanks...

So could i use current shimano models like the RD-6600-SS? If i remember there are different versions for a double and a tripple something like short cage?

I am going on what i have heard that an Ultegra rear will shift smother than my Tiagra!
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • tonyw43
    the jury is out on wether higher specs of shimano will shift smoother than the lower specs. Personally I think it depends on how well your mechs are adjusted. Many people say that tiagra shifts just as smoothly as dura ace. In my opinion, it comes down to personal preference.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would change the shifters, cassette and chain first as these have to be done together. All the rest will work with 10sp until you get round to changing it.
    I think that good adjustment is more important than how high a spec the kit has. The main differences are in weight, finish and durability.
  • t0ny
    Ok, well I have done a reasonable bit of reading since my first post and it looks to me like 105 to Ultegra is not really worth the jump except maybe for the crank?

I think I might:

a. stick with my Tiagra or
    b. slowly move to 105..

??
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    hi tony

dont waste your money on a piecemeal upgrade- save up for a bit and ditch the shimano junk for a campagnolo groupset- maybe centaur

*hides*
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    One way to do this would be to keep the tiagrs for the time being, save up and then buy a complete groupset which is a cheaper option in the longrun, The old Tiagra group can then be used on a hack bike or sold on as a complete groupset.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Indeed as coomented above. Shiny Bikes to some very good deals on Shimano and Campag but shop around. I think if you can scrape together 300 quid that will get you 105, 360 will get you ultegra and from about 500 you will be able to get some of the better campag groupsets. Remember you will get something for your tiagra on eBay or somewhere or just get an old frame and put it on that as a winter trainer. One guy we ride with has Tiagra and it doesn't slow hoim down at all!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Well someone had to bring up the Shimano / Campag cr*p. When do we start including Sram so it becomes totaly pointless.
    tOny. If you were to go to Campag you would also need to consider changing wheels / freehubs.
    Going for a complete groupset is worth considering but they also include brakes which you may not want at this time. That said I believe the higher end brakes are a bit better. It really depends on how much you want to upgrade and what budget and timescale you have.
  • t0ny
    Ok, I have no interest in going to Campag, Shimano did Lance OK even if he is on SRAM now.

I have probably just wasted everyone's time, but what this thread has helped me decide is to stick with my Tiagras. I will still upgrade my wheels as I think that is a good move, but as this is an Allez Sport (probably way beneath you guys) if I did get serious It would probably be worth going for a whole new carbon bike...

I'm doing a London to Paris this summer, so I'll guess I see how I go in training...
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • John C.
    Not a waste of time at all :lol: it does us all good to look at the wider options. What may be an obvious solution to one person may not be to another, we all have strengths and weaknesses,

I already run a Shimano/Campag mix, wonder where I can fit a sram part :wink:

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've an Allez Sport and I'm just upgrading bits as they wear out. Front (Tiagra) brake caliper fell to bits so replaced that with a 105. Seems a nicer action (before I fitted it) and better braking though that could be as much to being new, fresh pads etc.

Wheel upgrade is well worth it. The supplied hoops were poop.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    I don't find any smoothness gains in shifting from Tiagra to Dura Ace, but the crankset is a lot lighter. Has a nice finish to it as well...

There's nothing wrong with your bike, and a wheel upgrade will make it feel new again.
  • John C.
    Take care with Shimano pads and light weight wheels, Some Shinano pads are on the hard side, A good upgrade would be to something like Koolstop , and it's a relatively cheap upgrade too.

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    John.T wrote:
    Well someone had to bring up the Shimano / Campag cr*p. When do we start including Sram so it becomes totaly pointless.
    tOny. If you were to go to Campag you would also need to consider changing wheels / freehubs.
    Going for a complete groupset is worth considering but they also include brakes which you may not want at this time. That said I believe the higher end brakes are a bit better. It really depends on how much you want to upgrade and what budget and timescale you have.

WHOOOOO!

hark at her!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • t0ny
    OK well I ordered up some Easton EA50SL's which should arrive tomorrow if i am lucky...

Going to have to look up how to move the rear cassette this evening, anyone got any good links to a tutorial? Is it hard or should I pop down the LBS to get it done?

I will look at changing the pads thanks John C.

Are these right?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Kool_ ... 300005952/

They don't list them as Tiagra...
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    My Tiagra brakes (2006 I believe) didn't use cartridge inserts. The blocks and pads were one unit. Still have Tiagra on the rear but upgraded the front caliper to 105 which does take cartridge inserts (as in your link).

Cassette removal guide