Useful number just in case

pbamf
pbamf Posts: 69
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
I was recently on a First Aid course and the lecturer told us that if you need the Emergency Services for any reason, instead of dialling 999, dial 112. Apparently if you dial 999 you have to give your location, but with 112 they can pinpoint your position to within a few metres (or yards depending how old you are) thanks to GPS. My wife also went on a different course and was told the same thing, so there ust be some truth in this. Just thought it may be useful to know being as when we are out we could be anywhere and haven't a clue where we are half the time. Hope none of us never need to use it.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    This is an EU wide emergency number and, therefore, handy if travelling. 999 calls can also be pinpointed by GPS.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    It isn't GPS unless you happen to be holding a GPS unit and are telling them what it says :wink: . It would be by triangulating the signal from your mobile with the nearest phone masts. That would be the same method used by companies who provide a service for parents to track their children using their mobile phones.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It's a worldwide emergency number.

Saves you remembering that you have to dial 999 in the UK, 911 in USA, and what's the
    code in Albania ?

There's a myth going around that 112 will work even if your phone hasn't got a signal
    - not true, if you are in the bottom of steep sided valley in the middle of the Howgills or somewhere, it still won't work
    - but it will work if there's no signal on your network, as the phone will roam onto another network (e.g. Vodafone, Orange, 02) to make the emergency call

It'll also work if you have no credit, no SIM card in your phone, maybe (depending on your phone) even if you have the key lock on.

Depending on what your phone is, it might do the same with 999 or it might not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi
    Just a bit of information for anyone coming to the Netherlands, 112 is the emergency number in the Netherlands.
    Ademort :)
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I've heard that you can dial 99 and still get through to the emergency services.
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    maander wrote:
    I've heard that you can dial 99 and still get through to the emergency services.

True. But how much use is an ice cream with a flake in it in an emergency situation?
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    999 and 112 connect to the same system in the UK so there is absolutely no difference in calling one or the other.
  • I heard that Germany were going to change from 112 to 999, but then they decided it was a no no,......no. :lol:
    From a recent first aid couse we were informed about 112 and also 911 does a similar thing in the UK as well (yes I know its the emergency no. in the US)